This week’s prompt: What challenge did you overcome today?
You know, I’m not so sure that overcame any challenges today. I don’t know whether that’s a good thing or a bad thing?
- Maybe I’m lucky that there weren’t any tough challenges thrown at me today.
- Or maybe I didn’t step up, instead just going with the flow and not facing anything challenging.
This prompt made me think. I kind of wish I’d read it yesterday so I could have stepped up today 😉
One thing I will say, is that I think I’ve become better at letting things go. Irritations, particularly those at work, that crop up from time to time, have become less important to me. I’ve learnt that they are simply distractions and that the more time and energy I give them, the less time and energy I have for the important things, the things that I’d rather be doing, that make me happy.
Simple enough, right? But I have always struggled with this. With moving my focus away from the things that really shouldn’t matter. I guess it’s easier to spend time on those irritations because they are right there in front of you and you don’t have to work at them. The squeaky wheel gets the oil, that’s the way it goes, isn’t it?
But it’s amazing how much you can accomplish if you just “don’t sweat the small stuff”. Just let go of the little things that don’t really matter.
- So what if one of your colleagues talks loudly on the phone just a few feet from your desk? Put some headphones on and listen to some Beach Boys.
- You forgot your office key? Just go have a coffee with your laptop and catch up on some emails while you wait for your colleagues to arrive.
- Your friend likes to talk over you when you talk? Yeah, that’s a tough one, but I think if you stop talking as soon as they start doing it, they will figure it out. Well, I really hope so!
How about you, did you manage to overcome a challenge today?
Here’s how my fellow contemplaters have been coping with challenges: