Contemplation 3 – Me Time

Hello and welcome to Contemplation.

Firstly I’d like to say a big thank you to everyone who has participated in this little challenge – not only the wonderful responders (my fellow contemplaters) but also everyone who has joined in and made comments as well. This has been a very open and sharing group of people and I am so pleased and humbled to be a part of it. Thank you.

img_7990

Each week, I answer a prompt from the Kikki.K A Sentence A Day Journal. I’ve been answering these daily prompts for about 8 months now and I really enjoy the generally personal nature of these prompts.

If you’d like to join in, please tag your post Contemplation and title it Contemplation – Week 3, and use the badge above if you wish. Link back to this post so that I can read it and I will also share it here at the end of this post.

The book is full of all sorts of prompts, from the deeply self-reflective and heavy questions, to the more simple, such as “Tea or Coffee” (my answer is coffee, and sometimes tea😊). This week’s prompt is a little light-hearted as well:

What do you like to do in your “me” time?

How do we define “me” time? Time spent alone? No, I don’t think so. Sometimes, I spend a lot of time alone, but it’s not what I would call “me” time. I think that “Me” time is time spent not necessarily by myself, but on myself.

So often, we get caught up in our work, our home and family obligations, and just the general day-to-day wheels of life. I’ve recently started reading The Happiness Project – something which I was inspired to read after we did a cover makeover on the book. I’ve also watched YouTube videos and read up on the whole “mindfulness” movement, and it’s something that intrigues me. I think it’s something that we should nurture within ourselves.

Some people may think it a selfish idea, that some of us already focus too much on ourselves. But for me, “me” time is more about reflection, personal growth, renewal – doing something that energises and refreshes me but at the same time, calms my mind, particularly from the stresses of a full work week.

So what do I like to do in my “me” time? Actually, I most like to spend time with my camera – I find it incredibly refreshing and it lets me see the world in a whole new light. I also like to use this time to learn or try new techniques, either with the camera or with editing. Often, while shooting, I meet people, have a chat, learn something new about the area. It’s one of my favourite things to do and I relish every opportunity.

If I’m feeling indulgent, then I do subscribe to the “Netflix and Chill” idea – my favourite of the moment is House of Cards, I did manage not to devour the entire fourth season in a few days but I have just finished this last weekend and it was excellent. Although, with The X-Files resurfacing recently, I was very excited to dive into that. I’ve been savouring it and haven’t quite finished yet.

Of course, an afternoon at the hairdressers or having a massage – those are wonderul “me” time indulgences as well that always make me feel good. Sometimes, my favourite “me” time is spending time with friends – wandering the city, having coffee and cake, sipping wine and dishing the dirt.

How about you? What are your favourite “me” time moments? Do you get much time for them?

Before you go, please take a look at the me-time moments from my fellow contemplators:

Julie Powell – Photographer and Graphic Artist

Deb’s World

XO NIN

Snapshots, Snippets and Scribbles

Snippets of a Panda Life

I’m definitely going to get around to answering this one!! Love your me time ideas.

Excellent, looking forward to having you contemplate with us 😊😊

Yay, I finally managed to get around to writing a post and joining in the contemplation series!

Good on you, I just read it. Great me-time!

2. Becky says:

I have almost no “me-time” but when I do I like to read & write, enjoy a good coffee and let my thoughts wander. Happy Monday!

I can imagine! But those are fabulous me-time activities 😊😊 Happy Monday to you too.

3. This is one of my favourite blogosphere stop-offs. I always enjoy your thinking, and it always provokes mine. Having just arrived in the presence of my twin grandkids, I’m looking forward to lots of “their” time. My life at home is one big me-time, so this will be a lovely change.

Oh thank you Meg, that means so much to me. So glad you arrived safe and sound. I’ve just found your Warsaw blog and I’ve followed to see what you’re up to. Enjoy!!

4. katieprior says:

Hi Desley, I totally agree with your ideas for “me” time, necessary for emotional and physical wellbeing, now to just stop feeling guilty at the same time! For my “me time”, a camera, a book and a big bar of chocolate would all feature heavily!

Wonderful me-time ideas. How could I forget chocolate!!??! Thanks Katie.

5. Our much-needed me time translates into leisure time, which can be a million different ideas. You are right on with your choices that bring you joy, happiness and satisfaction!

Yes! I did think of leisure time when I was posting this. Thanks Terri, enjoy your next “me-time” session 😊

6. Me time……….book me a massage please and I’ll have a cocktail with it too please 🙂

Oh yes! Sign me up too 😉😉

7. Your ‘me’ time speaks to me. 😉
    All great ideas. Other than that I’m the yoga and meditation practitioner too.
    Lovely post! Xx
    PS: I may not join the contemplation this week. Short week due to travel and lots of stuff to get done. Sorry!

Excellent, let’s plan some joint me-time! No worries, life takes precedence 😉 Travel for fun, or for work? Xx

1. That’s was me-me fun time! Xx
        Joining you in Melbs? A dream.

We should discuss 😊

8. Ninette D.S says:

I love your definition of me time being time spent on yourself 🙂 another great question this week!

Thanks so much, looking forward to reading about your me-time 😊

9. Amy Sampson says:

It’s because our common “me time” activities that our paths have crossed. Pretty cool how that happened, eh? Things we’ve both done, for the most part, “alone” connected us. 🙂

Yeah! That’s a neat way of looking at it 🙂

10. pommepal says:

I definitely agree with the me and camera syndrome. Real me time…