Photo101(3): Water for Life.

Fast Stop
Fast Stop

Again today, a challenge.  I left home at 6am for my flight to Melbourne and the challenge was released while on the plane.  Working all day, so tricky to fit in a photo sesh. But I had an idea!

Water is life, and for someone like me who travels often it’s most often a bottle of water on my bedside table in my latest hotel room.

When I was a child, it was water straight from the tap – so I played with the shutter speeds and was able to get a nice shot of water moving.

And most loved, the exquisite essence of life – coffee! I had the barista in my hotel lobby set up the machine to dribble coffee for me – yum!

Lastly, is shot I took recently at the Gold Coast at one of the parks – I like the effect of the plant material on and under the surface.

I’ve said it before – this is fun!!!

1. ady says:

A different perspective and beautiful pictures !

Thank you so much!

2. pommepal says:

That first photo is terrific I love how you have caught the droplets. What shutter speed did you use?

Thank you kindly!! I will have to go back and check but I believe it’s up around 1/800 or faster. I dont have that computer with me at the moment.

1. pommepal says:

I’m inspired to try that, thanks for letting me know.

You’re welcome. But I will report back once I return home.

Hi @pommepal – I checked and my shutter speed for the water droplets shot was 1/1000s at f/5.5 and 40mm focal length.

1. pommepal says:

Thanks I do not have a DSLR but my Powershot sx40 does have a manual option so I will try playing around with it. Have a good relaxing weekend. Back to the Photography 101 next week…

3. anujakokrady says:

I love the way you’ve written this… And the photos are really nice too!

Oh thank you, how lovely. Nestled away in my hotel room, almost midnight, processing photos, doing what I love outside of work hours. It’s so nice to hear that.

4. Love! You are definitely an artist. I can learn from you. Thanks!

Oh my goodness, thank you for that. As a scientist, it’s so nice to be thought of as an artist!!! X

1. That right brain is there for sure. 🙂

5. AnnetteM says:

Love the first photo. I only realised the other day that in a gallery view you can see the photo settings. I wonder if there is any way we can get them to appear for a normal photo.

Good question!! I might spend some time playing with the media settings this weekend. So much fun!

1. AnnetteM says:

Do let me know if you find anything good!

I will certainly do that! There seem to be some very good tutorials in the help section so I’ll check them out.

6. Karuna says:

Wow. Your picture of the water running from the faucet is stunning. I look forward to learning about shutter speeds in this Photography 101 class.

Thank you. I did quite a few “photowalks” with professional photographers. Each took us as a group to a particular site and taught us how to use Aperture and Shutter modes on our cameras before we ventured into Manual mode! 😀

1. Karuna says:

I look forward to learning about these things. This is all new to me.

7. Amazing! I totally agree about the coffee, sometimes it feels like it’s the only thing that keeps me going 🙂

Right!?! And it is often a catalyst for good conversation. I always find people open up and chat easily when we’re having our cuppa.

8. Krosscourt says:

I really like the idea you had for the water…. very clever and well captured. Nicely thought out!!
    Susan

Thanks Susan, lovely of you to say.