Photo101(15): Landscapes of Queenstown.

17mm, f/22 1/400s ISO400 Olympus OMD EM5
17mm, f/22 1/400s ISO400
Olympus OMD EM5

I wasn’t able to get out and about today to take some photos for Landscapes. However, I had a fantastic holiday recently in New Zealand – we went to the snow in Queenstown. It was my first time in this beautiful city and I absolutely loved it. I went with two very good and lovely friends of mine at a time when I really needed to be with people I loved and people who loved me. You could say it was a very therapeutic stay.

I have a square-cropped version of my header image on the wall in my living room and it’s one of my favourites. It’s so interesting to see how landscape compositions can change the feel of an image. I’ve included a couple of different ones in my little gallery below. It was a very hazy day and it was snowing when I took the distance shots, so there is some grain (my apologies).

I can’t wait to go back to this glorious place, absolutely fabulous 🙂  Actually, it was the first time I’ve really seen snow, so here is another “just-for-fun” picture for you – I had a (snow)ball!!

Not Dressed for Snow.
Not Dressed for Snow.

1. Shane Walsh says:

Really nice images here, well done.

Thank you Shane, I appreciate that.

2. luckykaye says:

Looks wonderful. New Zealand on my (very long) bucket list!

Thank you. It’s a gorgeous part of the world.

3. jcpramblings says:

Great images, like the crops and compositions. Can’t believe that’s the first time you’ve seen snow, lucky you, we don’t get too much of it here in the west coast of Scotland but I hate the stuff lol.

Thank you so much!
      LOL yes not much snow in Queensland! It’s 10:35pm here, 26 degrees celsius and 81% humidity!
      I did go to Chicago a few years ago at the end of winter and there was slush on the roads each morning from overnight snow but this is the first time I saw powder and got to play 😊

4. what a stunning palce and i love the last pic, such fun x

Thanks x
      I have a collection of 4 in a square that were taken in quick succession. It was pure joy playing with snow for the first time!

1. haha looks great, i love looking at the snow just not being in it, my fingers freeze sooo quickly x

Heh heh yes it was the best fun but my fingers turned blue. I was totally not prepared for it!

1. i can imagine i need 3 pairs of gloves on lol x

5. estelea says:

Your picts are great! I posted about NZ too, isn’t it an incredibly beautiful place? Mother Nature at her best 🙂

Yes it’s gorgeous. I think we are going back this year!

1. estelea says:

Lucky you! 🙂 feel free to spoil us with your Kiwi pict and posts!!

6. Amy says:

Great images of the landscapes!

7. Anna says:

Lovely photos especially the one taken from inside the window! It gives a nice frame! I’d like to visit NZ one day!!

Thank you, I appreciate that. Yea it’s a beautiful place, I hope to go back to NZ next year.

8. Gorgeous! Your photos make me excited to visit there in Feb/March

Oo how exciting! What have you got planned for your trip?

1. Our plans for touring NZ are rough at best right now. Current ‘big picture’ plans are 1) land cruise of the North Island in the coming days 2) sailing circumnavigation of the North Island mid- Dec to end Jan 3) South Island tour Feb/March.

Wow that sounds awesome. You will really get to see a lot doing it that way. I still haven’t seen everything yet. It was good to spend 5 days in one spot and see all around it.

9. fluttertouch says:

Those vibrant colors!! Stunning.

Thank you! We had cold but sunny weather, which made all the difference to the colour and light.

2. fluttertouch says:

(I especially like the one through the window. Gives it a great composition.)

Thanks for that. We were in a winery having a wine tasting and I wasn’t really enjoying the wine. So I experimented!!

1. fluttertouch says:

Good thing you did! Wonderful pictures.

10. pommepal says:

I love NZ it is all so incredibly scenic, I lived there for 40 years. You have caught perfect pictures of the overwhelming mountains.

It is wonderful, isn’t it? A gorgeous place and I am looking forward to going back. Thank you.