Photo101Weekend4: Colour vs Monochrome.

201411_Races-16Yesterday’s post with photos from our day at the races was mainly presented in black and white. It was suggested by @terryb that I show the colour versions as well and I thought it was a good idea. I was interested to see the comparison side-by-side. The races are such a colourful event, so it’s nice to see those colours. But I do like the nostalgia of black and white for these shots as well. I feel like there are less distractions in the black and white shots maybe?

What do you think works best?

1. lrod1726 says:

I like the black and white pictures better because they leave you wanting to know the story behind it. But overall, nice shots!

Thanks, me too. The black and white feels good πŸ™‚

2. Amy Sampson says:

Before photo 101, I was not a fan of black and white. I’ve changed my mind. I”m even using it myself, quite a bit, these days.

I love black and white, but I haven’t used it a lot. Yes, I’m definitely using it a lot more now πŸ˜‰

3. nty6x says:

black and white for the win! Especially ‘The Winner’ which makes it seems like you jumped back in time and caught a bit of history πŸ˜€

That’s exactly how I feel! A bit newspaper-y.

4. Capt Jill says:

I like most of them better in black and white, especially the last one. For some reason, I like the 2 with the horses better in color. I can’t really say why. They feel more ‘artsy’ maybe. They’re all good. πŸ™‚

Thanks Jill. It was a super colourful day πŸ˜‰

5. dwaycrafts says:

I am torn I like the colors of the blue sky, the jockey’s, the greens. Then I see “Place your bets” I like the black and white. Pretty much, I don’t think you can lose either way. They all great shots.

Thanks so much. I’m glad we have both colour and mono!

6. Definitely b&w. I think the best ones are the man and his tie and the oldtimers. Both don’t have too much going on and lots of contrast. I wonder what the horsey ones would be like from a lower angle?? The first one likely means the most to people who know the crew. πŸ™‚ I would prefer side profiles because then it wouldn’t matter that I don’t know them. Did you bet and win? πŸ˜€

Thank you! Yes I bet a total of $16 and took home $17.90 I’m a big spender LOL.

7. I think the shots of the men are better in b&w. the horses though, i like in color better. they’re all good. what a great idea to take your camera to the track

Thanks. I think the horse and jockeys do suit colour but I am in love with b&w!!

8. For me B&W works best on these shots. LIke you mention, it’s less distractions and in this photo reportage the colours doesn’t add anything of value to the story.

Thanks Cardinal. For me, b&w as well πŸ˜„

9. I’m for the B&W version.It’s my preference for photos, at all times. But for me, the horse is better in color.

10. nalinki says:

I prefer the monochrome pictures for this series. the colors add to much agitation to the collection

Me too. Thanks for stopping by!

11. estelea says:

B&W for me too! Although I love the last pict in colors. I guess the BW gives a feeling of stillness, helps focusing on the details and the atmosphere. Your post is really inspiring, will definitely try the comparisons of colors soon..

Thank you!
      “Focusing on the details and the atmosphere” – I like it.

12. I agree with everyone else. The black and white could have easily been 1950. I love the feel of it. The colors were so vibrant. I would prefer those for scrapbook shots of a happy day at the races.

I just said to my dad today that it looks like a shot from the 50s πŸ˜„ It’s been fun and really interesting to compare them. Thanks Michelle.

13. spugwash says:

Oh dear. I prefer the colour. I love the full on colours of a race day it’s part of the excitement as buzz and usually helps me forget how much I lost on my chosen donkeys.

LOL! That’s good! Something for everyone!

14. crisisalive says:

Just recently I have been comparing most of my photos as well. I have to say that b&w just adds a flare to some captures. It just makes you imagine more…

15. you know i love black and white but it hink with animals the general rule of thumb for me personally is that i like to see them in colour, except for my dog who is black and white anyway. lol….great pics and very jealous of you at the races, mind you i get so nervous they will hurt themselves and come back with a lot more grey hairs than when i went x

16. pommepal says:

What a great idea to show the 2 comparisons side by side. Like every one else, I think the honours go to the B&W images…

It was @terryb’s idea πŸ˜„ I agree, I just love the b&w’s.

17. I love the black and white versions, Desleyjane, especially Getting Late and Place Your Bets! The tones are just lovely. Great idea to post both treatments! What a fun day you had πŸ™‚

Thanks Stacy! Yep it was good fun πŸ˜„

18. emmanique says:

The black & white give them a timeless look the photos could have been taken last week, last year or 40 years ago. The coloured are good but……..prefer B&W

Thanks 😊 me too!

19. I prefer the coloured except the last one πŸ™‚

It’s funny, everyone is divided on this πŸ˜€

1. That’s because Photography is an Art πŸ™‚

Very true!! My favourite is the one called Winner and I LOVE it in b&w. For some reason, I’m very attached to that photo.

1. Coloured or BW, composition of all your photos are great!! That’s a good work!

Aww thank you so much πŸ˜‰