Strongest (Rehab2)

Day2 of Photo101 Rehab and I hope I’m not too late!

I love to experiment with macro photography. I took these photos when I was cleaning my camera one day during the November photo101 challenge. I had cereal for breakfast outside and had put a little on the tiles for Gidget. I watched as an ant came along and used its two front legs to grab the cornflake and pull it apart – the piece that it’s carrying is just one quarter of a cornflake, so you can see that this is a very small ant. What I loved was how determined he was to take the cornflake away – he was totally driven.

The hardest part of taking these photos was tracking the ant and keeping him in focus – I experimented with just autofocus and then with continuous autofocus as well. It was tricky because he was pretty fast – I think he was worried that I might want the cornflake back! I was lying flat on my tummy to take these shots and I took a number of shots to get these. They aren’t as sharp as they could be – I think the header one is the best. I should have upped the ISO so that I could use a faster shutter speed.

As usual, I edited in Lightroom. A very slight increase in contrast, highlights and shadows, and a small boost to saturation and vibrance to bring out the colour in the ant.

Tomorrow, I hope to have time to actually get the camera out and take new photos.

1. nty6x says:

sweet! these critters sure can run!

oh yeah thanks, so tough being on my belly and chasing him

1. nty6x says:

Great work anyho! Don’t think i’ve seen these ants before. Interesting colour. May I know what kinda lens you used for this?

I’m using a mirrorless camera so my 60mm macro lens (Olympus all the way) is a 120mm equivalent. I think they’re just notmal Aussie ants. Tiny!

1. nty6x says:

Ohhh cool! I need to get myself one of those extension tubes for macro.
            It must be cause i’ve never seen them this upclose before!

2. Andy Townend says:

Amazing, I like the one on the bottom right of the grid, never really tried macro…so there is a challenge

Excellent! Thanks Andy. Tomorrow maybe? 😉

1. Andy Townend says:

Now there’s a challenge 😉

3. JJCylk says:

I’d like to get into doing some Macro photos. Yours look great. I wanted to try w/ an iPhone5s. Anybody have recommendations on what’s a good lens attachment for the 5s?

I havent really looked at that except for the ollo clips for iPhone. I did see some great insect shots on instagram that were taken with smart phones. We should definitely investigate. Thanks!

1. JJCylk says:

We to Barnes & Noble today. All the books I could but were all on Photoshop but I dont own the software. I had to go to online to my library to renew a book I have out. I did a search there. I’ve order 3 books. Lets see what I can learn from the written word. Also, just checked out you tube, they have abunch of video’s there. Well I’m back to school.

Oh cool! It will be good to find out what’s available for iPhone….

2. JJCylk says:

First off don’t trust Siri to know what you said. I think I might like “Lightroom” because a lot of information is saying “we are almost like Lightroom,..” That’s like how everybody compares themselves to an iPad.

4. Mara Eastern says:

I doubt that you’re late for the second rehab session, I think you might even be the first to report! 😉 As to a fellow macro fan, your macro photos very much appeal to me. I have the same issues with focusing as you describe; but being at the very beginning of learning to shoot, I have no advice. Besides keeping on experimenting. And having fun! 🙂

Cheers Mara. I thought of you last night. It was 2am and I was still perusing blogs. I’m paying for it now at 8:30 in the morning. Time for coffee (again)!

5. tildy1 says:

Great close ups! I hate those little ants getting in to my house, but they are interesting to watch! Your shot sure shows his strength!

LOL he was amazing. Yes, they really make a mess. If Gidget doesn’t eat her food, it’s covered within about 15 minutes.

6. You’re going to be the first, always…time zone helps you. And what about this photo? Wow! Brilliant.

Thanks so much Lucile! I feel like we might be a day behind but it’s all good. Can you believe I left my camera at my folks’ place tonight?!

1. The Clinic is always open and each patient follows an individual therapy; timing is 24×7…
        I can’t believe it…are you ok? Trembling yet? Get a mobile phone…now! Lol

I am quivering, freaking out. I may need double-treatment!! Oh dear. It’s ok, they will take good care of it and bring it by tomorrow. I have 2 iPhones to sustain me til then lol 😉

1. I’m relieved to hear. I was already calling emergency services in Australia! 👍

I am so lucky to have you!

7. I didn’t know that ants enjoyed cereal for breakfast! 🙂

Me either! Maybe it was the milk 😉

8. This is the first time I’ve visited your blog site. Your pictures are most interesting with a wide variety of subjects. The quality of your work is awesome. Stayed at your site for almost an hour mesmerised by your shots.

Last night I took a hard look at your camera, the Olympus OMD EM5. If it weren’t for the steep price I would consider buying it. Everything I read and viewed on the Internet was first class. You are indeed priviledged in having such a great artistic tool.

Plan to return as much as I can to see more of your work.

Cheers,