Sweet Boy (B&W3, Rehab12)

Sweet Boy.
Sweet Boy.

This is probably my favourite portrait from the South Pacific. I was in Vanuatu, having a tour of the village. This young boy was tasked with guiding us to the final spot, where we enjoyed some local fruits and drinks and a tribal dance.

I’m submitting this for Day 3 of the B&W photo challenge (Cardinal nominated me) and I would like to invite Omar to join us.

This also serves as my Photo101 Rehab Clinic post, so I shall describe the settings used. As usual, I used my Olympus OMD EM5 camera with a 60mm macro lens, aperture f/2.8 at 1/800s and ISO200. I did take the photo in colour but the only editing I’ve done is to convert to black and white and slight adjustments to highlights and shadows.

1. This photo also looks good in B&W. I don’t think that colours would have added anything to this portrait, so B&W is a good and natural choice.

2. Andy Townend says:

I love the way you have captured the expression and blurred the background.

Thanks Andy. I was using my massive lens (well 120mm equivalent) and only had a small amount of room on the path through the bush. I love the closeness.

1. Andy Townend says:

This kind of shot is very hard to do, and you have captured a very natural expression of warmth.

Cheers Andy. I used all the powers available to me 😉

3. nty6x says:

Needless to say… Eyes!!! Haha. A complete 180 to the previous one! Love it

Thank you! I thought so too – very different expression.

4. I love photos like that. Captured him with a natural expression; the blur behind is bringing him forward very beautifully. Well done!

Thanks dear. 😊