Road to Nowhere?

Maroubra Path.
Maroubra Path.

I spent this last week in Sydney. It was such a busy week, leaving the hotel at about 8 each day and not getting back until 11pm or later. I even dashed to Melbourne for a day on Wednesday as well! Β However, I was lucky enough to catch up with my friends and visit their beach one evening.

In Maroubra, there is a natural rock pool, called Mahon Pool. It’s gorgeous. When I was poking around, I found this little gully which is fenced on either side. To me, it looked like a pathway. It was almost 8pm and the light had faded quite a lot, so I thought that black and white would work well and I am happy with result.

I have been nominated by @nty6x from Passionately Curious to post 5 black and white photos – one each day. He know I love black and white πŸ™‚ Β Please pop over and take a look at his blog, you will find beautiful photographs and interesting insights.

For Lucile’s Photo101 Rehab, here are some details of the shot. As usual, I took the photo hand-held with my Olympus OMD EM5, with my new 45mm f/1.8 lens at f/5.6, 1/125s and ISO640. In Lightroom, I converted the RAW file to black and white, decreased contrast (unusual for me) and increased clarity white a lot. Please check out Lucile’s blog for the Photo101 Rehab admissions πŸ™‚ but also you will find thoughtful and heartfelt posts and beautiful photos with a camera very similar to mine πŸ˜‰

I hope you enjoy this photo, I certainly enjoyed being at the Mahon Pool. I will probably post some more from that evening in the next few days. I am supposed to nominate someone else today, but I would like to invite all of you to join in and see the world in black and white for 5 days, it’s fun!

1. I love this Road to Nowhere photo! What a curious place… A gully with railings… Hmmm indeed thought-provoking as to where it leads….
    Happy Friday and happy travels!

Thanks Lia! Happy Friday to you too! X

2. Echo the commenter above πŸ™‚ So curious about the railings – perhaps simply a safety feauture? LOVE that you captured the ocean (?) in the background, Desley, to give it perspective. And also like your choice of black and white (you must know by now that I love black and white!) Glad you got a chance to use your camera in spite of your cRaZy schedule!

Thanks Stacy. Ye, it’s just fenced off so you don’t fall in, but I like that it looks like a path. Yes, the ocean πŸ™‚ I will post some more shots with a wider view in the next few days hopefully. This stopover at the pool made us a little late to dinner but well worth it, it was beautiful. There’s just something about the beach that refreshes you!

3. Love the title versus photo it got me thinking and daydreaming hehe! Your so lucky you can pop to a beach but I also know how hard you work too xx

I love these particular friends because they (without trying) force me to take a break and it’s usually at the beach x.

1. awe, well they sound very special and what a way to take a break πŸ™‚ x

4. Absolutely wonderful! We are interested in this course. Do you know when the next one comes out?

Photo101? It should be very soon, ours was November, so I suspect it’s not far away…
      The black and white challenge you can start now. Just one b&w photo per day and nominate someone new each day! 😊

1. How do you nominate? Is there a link? We don`t want to miss photo 101 but have not seen a link….

I haven’t seen an alert for the next Daily Post photo101 yet. I will let you know if I see it. It’s great, forces you to focus on a different technique or element of photography each day.
          For the black and white challenge, we just tag the post with “black and white photography” and then tag the person who nominated you and the person you are nominating. I’m not sure where this started….

1. OK. Thats a project for next week. We all love photography so this would be fun!

Excellent – I’m looking forward to seeing your photos!

5. afairymind says:

What a curious little gully! A great shot that works really well in b&w. πŸ™‚

6. It is an exquisite photo, my dear!

Oh thank you so much!