A Touch of Yellow

This is my 100th post !!   😀

Another post for Lucile’s Rehab Clinic over at bridging lacunas. If you want to join a supportive community of photography enthusiasts who like to share their images and a little technique, please come on over!

This is a weed in my garden, we’ve sprayed it but it’s pretty resilient, so I decided to play with my depth of field a little, using a wide aperture (low aperture number e.g. f/1.8 – f/4) to blur out the background. It’s important to keep the camera lens parallel to the subject, rather than tilted to an angle – this makes sure that more parts of the subject are at the same distance from the lens and therefore in focus.

There are some weeds that I find gorgeous. Like Lantana for example. I love Lantana, in Adelaide they grow it in garden beds. At home, on the cane farm, it was a pest because it grows quickly and chokes out the sugar cane. Do you have a garden pest that you secretly find attractive?? 😉

1. Mara Eastern says:

Oh! Not to tilt the camera? Good! I’ll try this tip! I tend to tilt a lot and though I love macro, I still don’t get a hang of the technique… Thank you for this!

Oh my pleasure, my sweet.

2. Andy Townend says:

Congratulations on turning 100! And on turning out another great photo, I’ve still not got my head round macro, should try!

Oh yes Andy. Macro is creamy and delicious.

3. andy says:

Congrats Desley !! many more 100s to come 🙂 Cheers !!

4. Another pretty name, Lantana! This definitely doesn’t look like a garden pest! Your photos are lovely:)
    I used to think dandelions were flowers as a kid and I’d pick them and put them in a vase. My dad told me they were just weeds and choked the grass… I was sad to learn that! And then when they’d go to seed, I’d love to blow them into the air… Dad again would remind me that this pollinated the seeds across his lawn! Yipes!! Oops….but they’re still pretty in my opinion 🙂

Exactly, still pretty even though they’re trouble. I know some people like that 😉😉
      Sorry, I misled you a little, I’m not sure what this particular weed is. Lantana is a different weed and much much prettier, I’ll post one of those next time. Thank you!!

2. Dandelions are the yellow flowers of Taraxacum, which later become those perfect spheres of seeds, arent’t them? I love them… as much as the pink flowers of clover (Trifolium pratense)! 🙂

Oh so these are dandelions? I wasn’t sure. Thank you!

2. Oh thank you for this information! And yes the pink flowers of clover are also pretty!

5. What wonderful photos!

Why thank you so much!

6. kazg10 says:

Funny thing that you mention Lantana today. Yesterday up at Tamborine I saw a lovely flower and commented and my friend said that’s a noxious weed, I had no idea but thought the flower quite pretty……

Was it Lantana? The pink and white and yellow version? There’s a red one as well…

1. kazg10 says:

Hmm I thought it was yellow with a red centre or vice versa…will have to check the camera …. so much for being an observant photographer!

7. tildy1 says:

Congrats on 100! I happen to love the look of dandelions. They are so bright and cheery!

Thanks Tildy, I wasn’t sure if they were dandelions… They are sweet. The flower is only about 2cm across…

1. tildy1 says:

Your flowers seemed taller than dandelions to me. Maybe they are a hybrid?

Yep, a different type I think, these are about 50cm high!

8. Sam Rappaz says:

Congrats on the 100th dearie 🙂 And you did it in such style 🙂

Aw thank you so much.

9. nty6x says:

Congrats!! Oh my. Thanks for the tip as well. I have a habit of tilting my camera a lot….. !!

I can’t even tell a weed from a flower. They’re pretty!

Ah thanks! And no worries ☺️

10. another lovely photo anda ctually i think a rather lovely flower, because weeds are after all flowers that we don’t like? Perhaps let it grow, let it grow, isn’t there a song like that? hehe xx

Yes something like that 😀