Roses are Red… and Yellow…

When I take a photo, I’ve almost always decided already whether it’s going to be a colour or a monochrome image. I have the luxury of seeing it both ways when I edit them. I love seeing an image come together, the stunning change as it’s converted to crisp clean monochrome…

I also enjoy the contrasting views people have about coloured and monochrome images. Sometimes it’s clear that an image needs to be in black and white and I like to compare them side by side.

Today is Easter Day and I spent it with my family. When I was leaving to come home, I dashed out to their rose garden to take a few shots and I think that they work well for this comparison.

I think both photos work in colour, but I really love the unopened bud in monochrome.

I’m adding these photos to Lucile’s Photo101 Rehab Clinic, come see all the wonderful photos.

I’d love to chat with you about what you think.

1. These are glorious shots ( I feel odd saying that, but hey, stream of consciousness is the new unconscious).
    I observe that kind of comments too. I know I love monochrome portraits of people. But nature works well very often too.
    The rose colors are so (glorious again) that I don’t miss the monochrome.
    I tend to agree with you about the bud in monochrome though as it shows the texture better.
    Great shots as always.

Why thank you. It’s a gloriously streamed comment from you! These were so pretty. Mum and Dad have a huge garden of rose bushes. Thanks hun x.

1. And you reply gloriously too! πŸ˜‰
        Wow that’s a complete studio fully packed with muses to photograph!

2. brittabottle says:

I’m really loving the colored shots here, but there is certainly something beautifully mysterious about the monochrome shots. πŸ™‚

Thanks Britta πŸ™‚

3. is the first rose its natural colour? Its truly stunning πŸ˜‰

Yes exactly as it looks. I haven’t touched Colour at all. Mum and Dad have so many colours – there’s a beautiful peach one as well and deep blood red and one that is pink with white centres. I should capture one of each next time!

1. Wow that’s a really unusual and stunning colour then bet it smells glorious too x

They do. It’s a nice spot late afternoon.

4. Amy Sampson says:

I never used to like monochrome. Not even a little. I’m head-over-heals in love with it now. Now, when I edit, I always take a peek and see what it would look like in B&W. Some photos just have more impact in monochrome.

Absolutely, me too! I love mono.

5. "Bethie" says:

The colors are pretty, but I’m drawn to the monochrome. πŸ™‚

Thanks Bethie, me too. I’m a sucker for monochrome shots πŸ™‚

6. I nominated you for the real neat blog award. If you want, you can participate, if not just leave it πŸ™‚
    here’s the link: https://backtowhatever.wordpress.com/2015/04/10/real-neat-blog-award/

Thanks Becky, that’s lovely of you. I would love to participate but I’m not sure when I’ll have time. Can it sit for a bit before I get to it? X

1. Of course, just take your time πŸ˜‰ you’re welcome