Helix

04_Canberra-21

I went on a a day trip for work to our nation’s capital last week. The capital city of Australia is Canberra, which is within The Australian Capital Territory, which is then located within the state of New South Wales. It’s about 2 hours drive from Sydney. I flew down from Brisbane, which is also about 2 hours. I won’t tell you about Canberra because it’s described much more eloquently here.

What I want to share with you is my photographs of my favourite building at the Australian National University – The John Curtin School of Medical Research. It’s such a cool building, which you can learn more about here. The design represents the DNA helix.

Here is my photographic tribute to this fascinating building. I am putting these photos in Lucile’s Photo 101 Rehab Clinic. The feature image at the top of this post is my favourite and I will probably use this in an upcoming Image Reboot. Below the gallery, you will find a full shot of the building, as well as some information about the shots themselves.

When I was getting ready to go to Canberra, I almost didn’t take my camera. At the last minute, I decided to take it, because let’s face it, I rarely go anywhere without it. However, I decided to choose only one lens to take with me. I almost exclusively shoot with prime lenses, which means they are at a fixe focal length (no zoom). I prefer these lenses as they are generally of better quality and have a much wider aperture available.

For this trip, I brought the 45mm (90mm equivalent) f/1.8 lens, my newest lens, and it is exquisite. I like the challenge of taking a single lens with me as you become limited in what you can shoot. Using this lens means I have to get back quite a distance from my subject to fit it all in the frame. This is challenging, as I said, but it also makes you more considerate of the composition of your shot. It is an excellent way to learn.

I wasn’t able to easily get a full shot of the building with this lens, so the trusty iPhone 6 was used to get this shot, just so I could show you the building in its entirety.

IMG_3799

1. I’m still wowing here!! Superior architecture and the photographer has superlative talent.
    Gorgeous.
    I know the feeling with the 45mm but it’s my preferred lens for its superior quality. What I do when I need a wide angle and just have the 45mm, is to use the wide angle option you find at scene. I guess you also have it at the OM 5.

Oh thank you! I love this lens and the 60mm. I enjoy looking at the scene differently in a compact view but I’m very glad I had my iPhone! I haven’t found the wide angle option on the camera, will take a look. Thanks so much for your fabulous comments πŸ™‚

1. True, the iPhone needs to be there to rescue us. I normally shoot first with the iPhone then with the olympus! It’s my ritual. Lol
        You are always welcome.

2. I didn’t know about that option, I will have to look for it too.

1. It has not only that but macro, star effect, portraits and many more. Look at art too. A wealth of options.

I use art ones all the time (lots of fun) but I’m not sure if my EM5 has the other macro and wide scene options…..

1. It is not part of art but scene

I understand but I had not found it. I rarely use scenes. But I just checked and it is there! So I will try it. πŸ™‚

1. You’ll be pleased.

I really wanted to go try it out but am off to dinner with the family. How are you going? X

2. That lens is my favorite. The 20mm Panasonic gives me trouble sometimes but the 45mm matches how I see the world perfectly. Plus, I think it brings out the nicest colors. Great building and great pictures!

Thank you! Yes it’s my most recent addition and is exquisite for portraits but I’ve been experimenting with other shots and have to agree, it’s really a lovely lens! πŸ™‚

1. It is a little out of context here (I didn’t find a contact page on your blog) but .. I enjoy your posts and pictures a lot and I have lately started wondering if you would consider doing a guest post on perelincolors? I have never had a guest post before but it would be so great to have you presenting something about Australia and/or your home town. Let me know if you are interested (now or in the future, any time is fine). No problem if you are not interested, or if you are too busy, it’s just an idea.

So sorry, I should put some contact details on there!
          How lovely, of course I’d love to! I’m at desleyp@gmail.com – let’s chat there?

1. Great, I will send you a message!

3. Norah says:

What a cool design for a medical research building.
    And . . . you do get around!

LOL, thanks Norah! That’s why they call me the frequent flying scientist, heheh…

1. Norah says:

Duh! Should have thought of that! πŸ™‚

Bahahahaha! You crack me up πŸ™‚

4. Creatopath says:

That’s an amazing building. Your camera really captured all those crisp straight lines.

5. Debbie says:

I haven’t seen this building but will now keep an eye out for it. You captured it really well.

Thanks Deb, it’s such a cool building, with scientists doing amazing cancer research!

6. afairymind says:

What an incredible building! You capture it wonderfully. πŸ™‚

7. What a cool building! Great photos, dj!

It’s awesome. I’ve been going there a while and this was the first time I took my camera. Thank so much!

1. I have always imagined you never without your camera. Glad you brought it.

LOL usually the case πŸ™‚
          But the last few times I knew I wouldn’t get time. This time, I almost didn’t bring it but decided to and so glad I did πŸ™‚

8. Your photography really captures the amazing architecture. The photos look like they belong in an architecture magazine.

Oh wow thank you! I love this building – they do groundbreaking cancer and immunology research here.

1. Amazing work on it. It’s nice when buildings are not square boxes.

I have another post coming up with the other buildings on campus. They’ve really done some amazing designs.

1. Is it the same architect?

oooo, I’m not sure! I will check before the post goes live πŸ˜‰

Just did some googling before bed and it seems that many of them are by the same firm who did the Helix building – Lyons Architecture.

1. awesome. It’s interesting when you start looking into all that goes into these buildings. Some are a work of art.

9. You are so right about the building, Desley, and you captured it beautifully, with both your cameras πŸ™‚ I have one prime lens, a 35mm which is equivalent to about a 50mm on my cropped frame sensor. I love the sharpness (and speed) of the lens! I’m contemplating a fixed wide angle – just have to save up for that puppy πŸ™‚

Thanks so much! Yes, it’s an expensive little hobby, isn’t it?! But so much fun! πŸ™‚

1. LOL! That it is πŸ˜€

10. nty6x says:

Great pics as always πŸ™‚ challenging yourself to only bring not just one lens with you but also one without zoom is admirable!!

Cheers! I do this quite often, I’m mad! But I don’t often carry any zoom lenses with me, I’m in love with primes πŸ™‚

1. nty6x says:

Hehehe perhaps one day I’ll do that! I got myself a new 24-70mm instead of a wide angle prime. Really wanted the prime but don’t think its as versatile while on my holiday..! 😦 plus i’ve been a bit careless swapping lens recently.. Gonna try to avoid that as much as possible now. Convenience over quality :S

LOL, ok good plan!

11. Amy Sampson says:

Beautiful shots. That really is a cool building. πŸ™‚

12. brittabottle says:

Really lovely photos of such a cool building!

13. These area great shots from every angle! When I saw the title of your post, I thought “Helix?” That was the name of my high school. πŸ™‚

Thanks Terri. How cool to have a school called Helix!!

1. It made us all feel smart, LOL!