As I walked back into the old house, the memories just came flooding back. What a horrifying time that had been. I remember I was about five when it started happening. Things were never where I’d put them and sometimes I swear my dolls moved – I could see a movement out of the corner of my eye but never see it happening. There was one toy in particular, a bear. Innocent enough to look at, but I am certain that thing was possessed. I was terrified to go into the playroom. My mum thought I was being contrary, she always called me contrary, I remember having no idea what that meant. But it was the bear, it freaked me out.
One day, I was in there and I’d just started to relax. I was playing with my brother’s toy robot, having fun in a way, but also feeling a little tense, my little shoulders hunched up. I heard a sound, like something hitting the floor and a scurrying and when I turned to look, I was instantly covered in goosebumps. The bear was on the floor behind me! I screamed and scrambled away from it but I just kept screaming and screaming. It wasn’t moving, it was just lying there like it had been carelessly dropped there by a silly five-year-old. Mum and Dad came running in but I was incoherent. They had no idea what I was screaming about, I was pointing at the bear and screaming but they didn’t realise, they didn’t seem to care. They just picked me and told me to stop being silly and carried me out to the living room.
Dad didn’t close the door. If only he had closed the door.
Word Count: 284 words in 5 minutes.
Britta nominated me to take part in this Freestyle writing gig and I thought I’d join in – please go and read her lovely response to Grandparents. I tried to hold off seeing what the prompt was for me until I was ready to write but I saw Amy’s fabulous response and knew that it was Childhood Toys.
I hope you realise that this isn’t a real story, although my mum has been known to call me contrary 😉 I wanted to also include it in Andy’s Dark Side Thursday event, so I thought it would make a slightly creepy entry for that. Andy I hope I converted time zones correctly!
The idea was to freestyle, no editing, although my Mac corrects my spelling for me 🙂
- Open an MS Word document
- Set a stop watch or your mobile to 5 minutes or 10 minutes whichever challenge you think you can beat.
- You topic is at the foot of this post BUT DO NOT SCROLL DOWN TO SEE IT UNTIL YOU ARE READY WITH A TIMER.
- Fill the word doc with as much words as you want. once you began writing do not stop even to turn.
- Do not cheat by going back and correcting spellings and grammar with spell check in MS WORD (it is only meant for you to reflect on your own control of sensible thought flow and for you to reflect on your ability to write the right spelling and stick to grammar rules)
You may or may not pay attention to punctuation and capitals. However if you do, it would be best.
- At the end of your post write down ‘No. Of words =_____’ so that we would have an idea of how much you can write within the time frame.
- Do not forget to copy paste the entire passage on your blog post with a new Topic for your nominees and copy paste these rules with your nominations (at least 5 bloggers).
And the nominees are (my sweet gang):
Andy from AndyTownend
Jill from JillyPopMusic
Justine from Eclectic OddsnSods
Lucile from Bridging Lacunas
Mara from MaraEastern
These are some of my favourite people who also write 🙂
Your FreeStyle Topic: Comfort Zone.
I hope you can find time to join, but if you can’t, of course that’s ok!