Dancing in the Dark

My friend invited us to watch her Spotlight Dance at the Dance Studio where she studies ballroom. I took my camera along (of course!) and tried my hand at shooting fast-moving subjects in very low light and with a flash. I used the flash that came with my camera – a hot shoe popup. It was difficult shooting handheld in these conditions and I found the images generally looked best in black and white. Take a look…

The settings for each photo are in the captions. I’m submitting these educational (for me) photos to Lucile’s Photo Rehab Clinic!

What’s your experience with handheld shooting in very low light with moving subjects? Also, what is your experience with flash photography.

PS – I changed my theme this weekend. If you have time, take a look and see what you think 🙂

1. DJ, I’m overly impressed but not surprised because you turn stones into diamonds in every single shot you make.
    Imagine if you had the ‘perfect’ conditions? Do you think you needed it?
    What you do is art, and art is the result of resourcefulness and creativity. At least for this human being without art education.
    These photos are beautifully done! Punto.
    The atmosphere is gorgeous. It feels like an old ball room.
    You can dance, even in darkness!
    Xx

Wow thank you. You flatter me. It was certainly educational for me. I want to play with my flash some more now. I love the last line of your comment xox.

2. And can you please correct the typo and replace the word ‘junk’ with ‘think’? Siri has been just grounded.

Ok will do!!! No pocket money for Siri.

3. What lovely shots! Loving the very fifties inspired dresses!

4. ChloéMarriault says:

Great shots

5. nalinki says:

dancing photos are so hard to shoot – great Job!

Thank you. I was pretty discouraged while shooting but once I went through them, I found some good ones. And thank you to Lightroom!!

6. kazg10 says:

Nice set of photos Desley, I love the swishing skirt. Good on you, I avoid dark indoors as its too hard with my lenses and I don’t use the flash so thanks for the inspiration! 🙂

Thanks Karen. I needed a challenge. Now I have a starting point to learn more!

7. You have captured the joy, energy and enthusiasm that comes from dancing! These photos are great and although I don’t have experience shooting in low light or with action shots, I can imagine it’s something photographers need to work extra to achieve…And you got it!
    This dance class looks like lots of fun…I especially like the one in B&W with the lady’s skirt flaring around…definitely a retro-vibe to your gallery!
    Oh, and I like your new Cubic theme…it showcases your photos and entices the reader to click on the boxes! Brava!
    Have a super start to your week!
    *Lia

Lia – you have just given me a super start to my week. Thank you so much for being so supportive. Xx

1. Oh I’m so glad!! Have a happy start to your Tuesday…Our Monday is on its way out, over here…How cool are timezones!
        I’m happy to be a supporter of your blog and your creative work!
        All my best, always,
        *Lia

The timezone are certainly very interesting! They make for a lot of late nights 🙂
          Thanks again Lia. Best wishes for a bright Tuesday… X

8. kirsten says:

Wow!! These are amazing! The only subjects I’ve done in low light – with no flash- are my dog photos at an Obedience Trial. I found that they worked much better in black and white instead of color. Especially because of the grainy-ness. These are absolutely beautiful!

Thank you Kirsten. It was really tough. But rewarding when I saw the results. It was so fast there was no chance to review during shooting. I definitely need more practice. 😄

1. kirsten says:

I’ve been slowly perusing your photography and you have such a wonderful eye and a gift of capturing “moments.” Im enjoying looking at your work and at the photographers in the Photo Rehab group!

Wow Kirsten, I’m so touched by this. Thank you for taking the time. It really does mean a lot to me. X