Perfect in Pink

CloseUp-23

Pink isn’t just a colour, it’s an attitude.

– Miley Cyrus

I have some creeping roses outside my front window and I love to photograph them. I’ve left them alone for quite a few weeks as it’s been a bit cold, but I recently went out for a challenge to get some macro shots.

I took this shot with my Olympus OMD EM5 with the 60mm macro lens (120mm equivalent). It was a lovely sunny day, so at ISO200, I could use a very fast shutter speed (1/640th sec) and a mid aperture size (f/7.1) which allowed me to get most of the flower in focus.

My friend Nalinki at Angles and Views has started #flowersoverflowers where we can share our favourite blossoms of the week and I thought this one fits in nicely. It’s in my garden, it’s my favouritest of favourite colours and I think it’s so pretty.

Also for Lucile’s Photo101 Rehab Clinic – come and see the wonderful shots that the regulars have taken.

Finally, I’m including a quote from Miley Cyrus (gasp, such a great philosopher, haha). Thank you to Swagata from Through My Eyes for nominating me for the 3 Day, 3 Quote Challenge. I wouldn’t normally consider Miley but this one fits with my photo and my attitude. I’d like to nominate my lovely friend Lucile to join me in this challenge. A quote a day for three days and nominate someone new each day. Lucile – are you up to the challenge?!

1. Su Leslie says:

This is a lovely shot! πŸ™‚ I’m not sure I totally agree with the quote though. Or more that I think that the colour-attitude thing is true for lots of colours. πŸ™‚

Thanks Su. Yes probably that’s true!

2. inidna says:

Beautiful shot! The Miley quote absolutely fits πŸ˜‰

Aw thanks so much!

Just beautiful! I’m sure Miley appreciates you quoting her πŸ™‚

LOL. Thanks Deb πŸ˜€

4. Paula says:

It is beautiful and so well captured with all the prominent details.

Thank you Paula. It was a brilliantly sunny morning so lots of light available!

5. nalinki says:

Love this picture, the quote perfectly fits ☺

6. Cee Neuner says:

Gorgeous macro. πŸ˜€

Thank you so much Cee.

7. Amy Sampson says:

A little birdie (or maybe it was Lucile) said it’s your birthday. Happy birthday! Hope it was fantastic!

Thanks Amy!! Yes it was a fabulous weekend full of fun and lovey people x.

8. brittabottle says:

So gorgeous, Desley…and a great quote to go along with it! πŸ™‚

9. pommepal says:

Lovely vibrant colour.

10. Heyjude says:

Lovely colour DJ and I am interested that you used the 60mm macro lens as I am considering buying that lens. Would you recommend it? (I do enjoy flower close-ups as you can see on my flower blog: https://smallbluegreenflowers.wordpress.com
    Jude xx

Oh did I know that you have an Olympus as well? I may have forgotten if I did sorry! Yes I highly recommend it. It’s expensive and I had to save up but it’s wonderful, all of my macro shots on my blog were taken with it. I think it’s actually helped me with photography because I will often pop it on and run around the house and garden shooting things. It’s also amazing for portraits except you have to get back a long way.

1. Heyjude says:

Mine is a very new camera so you probably wouldn’t know of it. Sounds as though I should definitely buy the macro lens. Thanks DJ πŸ™‚

My pleasure! Try me, I’m so curious. What did you buy?

1. Heyjude says:

Olympus E-M10 – the compact system 4/3 mount so it takes Panasonic lenses as well.

Oh yes, I know the EM10. My good friend has this one and she also got the 60mm macro. Lovely camera, great size. Are you enjoying it?

1. Heyjude says:

Getting used to it! After a bridge camera which ranged from 24mm – 720mm I am learning the range of the different lenses. I am impressed by the sharpness and colour though. And it is small enough with the 14-42mm EZ lens to fit in a handbag.

Excellent. I used to carry my EM5 just like that as well. Now I’ve moved to the prime lenses. IT can be fun to head out with a prime lens and take photos without zooming – it taught me a lot about composition, angles, etc and yes much more beautiful images in my opinion. Having said that, I used a friend’s 14-42 pancake lens recently and it was remarkable quality.

1. Heyjude says:

I Imagine that using interchangeable lenses does make you more disciplined. Unless you want to change them mid-shoot, you have to work around a way to photograph subjects which makes it more thoughtful. I think the bridge makes you lazy, but i did stop just shooting and started framing and selecting better shots quite a while ago, and thought that now is the time to go that next step. I have heard that a prime lens is useful to have. One is on my list πŸ˜€

I have the 17mm, the 45mm and the 60mm. I have the 17mm attached all the time except at home when I am running around the garden with the 60mm shooting flowers and bugs and jewellery etc. The 45mm is a fab portrait lens. The 60 is also good for portraits but you have to be a looooong way back to shoot πŸ˜‰
                      I do change mid-shoot when needed, but usually I switch between the 17 and the 60. I carry all three usually, unless I’m strapped for space and then it’s just the 17….

2. Heyjude says:

You are so helpful. Thank you πŸ™‚

Oh I’m glad! Anytime πŸ™‚