PhotoRehab Cover Makeover 9

George orwell’s nineteen eighty-four

Lucile has chosen an absolute classic this week, a book that almost everyone will have heard of – 1984, by George Orwell. Just a little reminder of the story, from the Cliff’s Notes website:

In George Orwell’s 1984, Winston Smith wrestles with oppression in Oceania, a place where the Party scrutinizes human actions with ever-watchful Big Brother. Defying a ban on individuality, Winston dares to express his thoughts in a diary and pursues a relationship with Julia. These criminal deeds bring Winston into the eye of the opposition, who then must reform the nonconformist. George Orwell’s 1984 introduced the watchwords for life without freedom: BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU.

Here is the cover from Goodreads:5470

And here is my cover, that I have created from a photo that I imported into the iPhone app Pixlr to create the poster effect and colour. I then imported that image to Typic and added the text there.

IMG_5857

Here is the image that I started with, taken at The Powerhouse Museum in Brisbane – I have a post coming up with photos from this shoot. The colours in this photo below have not been adjusted, this was the light inside this very cool old building. I liked it for this cover, as I wanted something grungy and warehousey to match the theme of the novel.

Pink Powerhouse

If you haven’t already, pop over to Lucile’s Wrap Up of last week’s makeover and read more about this challenge there. We can’t wait to see what you come up with!

(I am on a plane when this post goes out so I’m sorry I haven’t been able to link to Lucile’s post, but the badge below will take you to last week’s post where you will find the instructions. Many apologies.)

badge3

Happy Makeovering!!

Fantastic cover Desley. I’m channeling you today as I’m at the airport ready to fly to Sydney for work meetings.

Thanks Deb. Have a great time in Sydney. I just landed in Adelaide. 😄

2. I love the inventiveness and diversity this challenge provokes.

Me too! So much fun.

3. tildy1 says:

Great cover Desley! Love that book and thinking on the challenge!

Thanks Tildy. Excellent. Looking forward to seeing yours!

4. Your cover blows away the Good Read’s cover! And I love both the original and processed versions of your image.

Thanks so much Lisa! I had fun doing this one too 🙂

5. George Orwell is on my tiny and exclusive list of favorite authors (it has 3 people on it).

Well come on. Who are the other two? 😉

1. Louis de Berniéres. My blog, Cardinal Guzman, is named after a character in one of his books.
        My other blog , artishorseshit.wordpress.com is named after a quote from Charles Bukowski:

“Great art is horseshit, buy tacos”.

I’ve always wondered about the blog name. But Bukowski I’ve actually heard of and I do know the quote. Excellent, thanks!

1. You can read about the excellent blog name on the about page:

6. Great cover – says it all, Desley!

Thanks so much!!

7. DJ, this cover is way better than the original one. You are hired! I love the grunginess and colors. It is surely a perfect cover for this book! Fabulous!

Thanks so much my dear. I had fun with this one. There are some cool apps available to easily get these effects. I would have liked to have gone through the steps but didn’t get time. Perhaps for the next image reboot…

8. kirsten says:

Fabulous makeover! I like you design much better than the original! They should have hired you as the designer.

Thanks Kirsten!! Oooo now that would be a fun job.

9. Sabina Ayne says:

Love the industrial edge of your cover. I added Toby’s to the link up!

10. andy townend says:

Excellent work Desley, maybe I will finally get round to a version of my own this week!

Thanks Andy! I have a sneaking suspicion that you may have joined us 🙂

1. andy townend says:

Indeed I did…. 😉

11. andy townend says:

And here it is…I finally got around to giving this one a quick try…

12. what a perfect cover for this book!! goodreads needs to republish with your cover!

Oooooo thanks so much. This was really fun to do with iPhone apps 😄