Taking Macro to the Next Level

Sometimes my job is a lot of fun. Last week, we had a big trade display at a conference here in Melbourne. I got to play with a bunch of toys, and learn from some of our suppliers visiting from Japan and The Netherlands.

You know how much I love macro photography, right? I was able to take this to a new level here at this conference with a couple of new microscopes. We took a yellow dandelion flower from the lawn outside and put it under the scope. It has a rotating head so that you can see the subject from multiple angles and it also has a large zoom range. I took this video on my iPhone. We saw a tiny speck on the flower and we were able to see that it was in fact an insect (you can see it in the background during the rotation in the video). The software also lets you do measurements, so we were able to see that the insect was just under 1mm long! So cool.

WhenΒ IΒ got home that night, I took Gidget for her usual evening walk and picked a few dandelion flowers fro the park in order to get some comparison shots. These are my shots, taken with my Olympus OMD EM5 with the 60mm macro lens (120mm equivalent).

1. Nandini says:

Wow, so amazing to see such tiny details! Great job, Desley. Loved your effort and photos. πŸ™‚

Thank you so much.

2. When do you buy a microscope of your own?

Now that’s a great idea. But at $100,000 probably not any time soon!!

Love this Desley! Your video certainly takes macro to a new level.

Thanks Deb! It’s a such a cool microscope. 😊

4. tildy1 says:

Microscope inspiration! I love it!

Thanks Tildy! It’s so much fun.

5. Such beautiful small details!!
    We are in full Super Bowl weekend here in the States!
    Enjoy your weekend.

Thank you! I hope you had a fab super bowl Weekend.

6. Heyjude says:

Even a humble dandelion can look gorgeous taken at the right angles and by a macro queen. The third shot is my favourite and I have to get myself a white shiny table!

Thanks Jude. I highly recommend it. I’m going to look into some other backgrounds and surfaces soon. Can’t wait to try it.

7. technology is amazing. Your shots are super cool and I like how you included the reflections.

Thanks Lisa. It was super fun. My white surface is tiny now in the new place so there’s only so much reflection I can get. But I’ll take what I can get!! πŸ˜‰πŸ˜‰

8. pommepal says:

Wow, what a lovely new toy for you to play with DJ. Love the reflections in the table.

Thanks PP. They’ve taken my toy away for another conference but hopefully it will be back soon. Thanks, I enjoyed working in the reflections.

9. Amazing and gorgeous, D! And you got paid to play! BTW, I have been stumbling your posts onto my photography page. Hope it helps your stats πŸ™‚

Thanks so much Terri. Yes I got paid to show off my toys to customers as well!! Thank you for stumbling my posts. I’m not sure what that means though? I’m not up with stumbling sorry.

1. It’s a website called Stumble upon. Good way to promote others blogs.

Oh cool, I’ll have to check it out! Thanks again.

10. How cool is that? Those insects on the flower remind me of the story “Horton Hears A Who”.

Thanks Lisa! Yeah they do bring old Horton to mind…