TWO(?!) Minutes with Some Lorikeets? Parrots? Birds. #RegularRandom

Happy Sunday!

Welcome to RegularRandom, if you would like to join in, here’s what we do:

• choose an object or scene
  • spend just 5 minutes shooting it, trying to be creative with angles and light and composition
  • post your photos with the tag regularrandom
  • pingback to this post so that we can see your results!

For this week, I’ve gone back to my trip to Lorne in November. I’ve wanted to share these photos for some time. I love the reactions of the people. I’m not going to explain any further, I think they speak for themselves:

This was a lot of fun to watch and all took place within one minute and forty seconds!

1. What a fantastic collection of birds and people. I chose something a bit less colourful and animal which I published and now can’t find!

I found it! You pinged it back to me! I just left you a comment 😊😊
      And thank you – yes so many people excited about the birds. I love that they were so comfortable perching on heads and cameras.

2. Heyjude says:

Fabulous photos DJ, but are these really Lorikeets? I have photos of rainbow ones that are a lot smaller and different colours (blue heads). Of course you might get lots of different species of Lorikeets. These birds look like King Parrots to me, but what do I know! You are the Australian after all!!
    πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€

Thanks Jude. Actually I’m not sure but I think you’re right. I don’t even know what possessed me to say lorikeets. I’ve just done a bit of reading and it seems you can only tell a lorikeet by its “brush tongue” which they use to eat honey and nectar. These were definitely eating seeds so they may in fact be parakeets or indeed small parrots.

3. Su Leslie says:

Lovely collection of shots. Cool idea to use something so spontaneous (and fast-moving) for the challenge.

Thanks Su. I didn’t plan it when I took the shots but I think I will try to find a similar situation for another week.

1. Su Leslie says:

πŸ™‚ It made me wish the challenge had been running when I went to the Birds of Prey Trust last year. I had some great photos from that — and I am quite shameless about pinching good ideas to use in my own blog. πŸ™‚

Oh use it next week! Mine was from my trip to Lorne in February. I just went through and found shots that were within a 5 minute (actually in this case 2 minute) period. A bit of cheating maybe but hey, there are no prizes 😜

Beautiful photos Khurt, such lovely details in these little beauties. I love using macro in this challenge, it’s a lot of fun. I couldn’t seem to comment on your actual post, hence me commenting here. I will look again when I’m at my desk. Thanks so much for joining the challenge!

4. Ohh! This is so much fun to watch! And your shots are fabulous! πŸ™‚

Oh thank you! It’s a really fun experiment to allow yourself just five minutes to shoot a scene. It makes you really think about your prep before you start. This particular one was a very happy accident.

1. It sounds definitely challenging. A bit like 5 minute sketching or 15 minutes meals πŸ˜‰

Exactly. It really makes you focus, if you’ll pardon the pun πŸ˜‰

1. As I’m fond of puns, I pardon any of them πŸ˜‰

5. There king parrots, red and green are male, female are more green.

Thank you!!!! That’s excellent.