Why Do I Write?

kikkiK-326Ultimately, I write in order to connect with people. I wouldn’t have said that a few years ago – I would have said that I write for myself or because I have to get the words out. But that’s not true. It’s not the driving force (well sometimes it is). The main driving force is the need to interact with other people.

When I first began blogging, I joined a WordPress Blogging University Photography Challenge (photo101) and there I met 4 other photographically-minded individuals (Andy, Justine, Lucile & Mara) and we all hit it off so very well. We talked to each other and supported each other’s adventure through the blogosphere. I loved that little community. I even met up with Justine & Lucile in London when I visited (from Australia) for work.

One of the crew (Andy) started a writing challenge called Dark Side Thursday and that was exactly what I’d been waiting for. And I didn’t even realize I’d been waiting for it!

You see, I’d been traveling for work, all over the place, all of the time. And it was exhausting. But I had inadvertently taken up writing, almost without noticing. I would board the plane, take my seat, put my headphones on and open the Notes app on my phone. And I would just write. And write. And write. My thumbs would fly across the little keyboard and type out a short story.

Most often, the stories were a little dark. I’m a fan of horror and thriller movies. And I’ve always had a bit of a dark side. Some people may find this difficult to believe if they’ve only seen my pink, flowery, sugary photos 😁

But yes. Dark stories. And so I welcomed Andy’s Dark Side Thursday posts. I would wait up until midnight on Thursday nights because that was the time when Andy’s posts went live. And I would post my dark story and then wait for the reaction. Would people like it? Would it be too dark? What would I find in the comments?

It worked. It satisfied something in me. It gave me something to pass the time on planes. And it gave me that interaction that I didn’t even know I’d been craving.

The last time I wrote a Dark Side Thursday post was in December 2015. I had been writing a serial – a series of short stories as part of a larger, complete story – and I finished it in December 2015.

I wrote a few things after that, but then I moved from Brisbane to Melbourne and had no more time available to write. I kind of lost the motivation. I still write. I write for work and I wrote short blog posts to accompany my photos but I don’t write stories anymore.

I think that’s what has motivated me to join this course – Writing: Finding Everyday Inspiration. I want to write again.

It’s looking promising!

1. looks interesting, I so miss your stories. I might even look into this myself πŸ™‚

I’m going to dive back in!

2. andy townend says:

Oh my…such memories, and thank you for the mention. I have been thinking how best to write more. I’ve been on the road for almost a year now in Western Africa. So, not written as much. The period you referred to was a roller coaster, some good times, some bad times. But, along the way some friendships have endured and some lessons have been learned. May even take a look at that writing course myself , I may also write another 52 week story. Who knows…
    Take care, and thank you.

Oh Andy. Such kind words and so lovely to hear from you. It’s almost like old times. It would be amazing if you join the course too. We could be each other’s accountability buddy on this journey to rediscover writing. I noticed you’re considering reinstating a version of DST. I am in! I don’t fly anymore though, so I’ll have to learn to write OUTSIDE of airplanes! I’ve missed you Andy. You take care too. Hope to see you around here more often.

1. andy townend says:

It’s great to be back in touch! I remember reminiscing about the time I used to spend flying when in Australia, well now I am flying just as much as I used to once again. Interestingly the initials DST resonate in many ways. When I first came out to Sydnt, back in July 2007, I held what must be one of the longest job titles in history. I was the Executive Director of Digital Australia and Deputy Secretary in the Department of Communications, Information Technology and the Arts. Following a change of government shortly after I arrived DCITA became DBCDE and Digital Australia became the Digital Switchailover Taskforce. Or DST! The great thing was that when giving interviews on the radio, and I gave a lot, simply introducing me took up half the available time… Happy Days πŸ˜‰

1. andy townend says:

Realised my spelling is diabolical, my excuse is the huge trackpad on my new Mac which I find hard to avoid when typing…well, that’s my excuse anyway.

Hahaha all good. I completely understood you. I have a new iMac at home too but opted for the “normal” mouse. Work is buying me a new iMac for work too (yay, no more PC!) – I think I’ll try the trackpad there. Do you recommend it otherwise?

1. andy townend says:

I love it, just find I need to train myself from doing things that lead to unintended consequences…a life lesson really πŸ˜‰

Hahaha very good.

Hahahaha I love that Andy! 2007, huh? My busiest “flying years” were 2007 – 2010 and then again later in 2013 – 2016. I’m sure we would have crossed paths in the lounges!

1. andy townend says:

Indeed! I was flying multiple times every week on Qantas between 2007 and 2011 and in the last couple of years was totally spoiled by Chairmans’ Lounge status..

We surely would have passed each other. What a scream. Where do they even keep the chairman’s lounge? I only ever made it to Platinum.

1. andy townend says:

It was always an unmarked door…pretty cool, they would always greet you by name. Only problem was, especially in Canberra, you had to be careful what you said because there was always the risk of (for example) complaining about the actions of the Treasurer or Minister of Whatnot and then realizing he was sitting just behind you…

Hahahaha ok that’s awesome. I just had to deal with medium-grade celebrity sports people like Shane Warne. πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

1. andy townend says:

My fondest memory was sitting next to Peter Garrett on the early Monday morning flight to Canberra taking about his new role as Energy Minister and his singing career.

I think that was one of the best things about flying. The chance that you might just meet someone interesting and have a good chat.

2. andy townend says:

I agree, for some reason people open up on planes…

It might be the gin πŸ˜‰πŸ˜‰

4. andy townend says:

Or the Krug πŸ˜‰ from the one and only time I was booted into First Class by Quantas all the way from London to Melbourne…

1. andy townend says:

Clearly time to start sharpening the pencil, or at least learning to manage my keyboard without making crazy spelling errors. Isn’t it great to be back?

3. loisajay says:

Oh, those were the fun times, Desley. Andy wrote dark and you wrote darker. Which I loved–and I don’t do horror stories, and yours were horrifying! And I mean that in a good way. I so enjoy how you have progressed with your photography–like, fabulous, professional photography. I will always enjoy your photos, but look forward to the Dark Side of Desleyjane.

I really miss it too. Thank you! I definitely take that as a compliment 😊😊

1. andy townend says:

I sense a virtual reunion building…

4. Sue says:

Best of luck….hope you find your muse

5. My dearest friend, what a pleasure to read your post and go back in time!
    Blogging has been a wonderful experience because of the connections and I feel privileged to have come across people like you, and above all, that we became friends outside virtual life.
    You truly master the art of photography and writing, and there is no need to ask why you write or shoot, as you do it with love and and passion, and that’s why we love it too.
    You know I hate horror but you and Andy are the only ones who made me enjoy it, just yours!
    Those were great times with Andy, Justine, Mara and many more to mention here.
    Thanks for the post.

That is truly the best compliment that you enjoy my dark stories. Thank you. And thank you for such lovely words. I’ve missed our interaction here so much. It is my pleasure x.

1. andy townend says:

What a fine testament to the power of communication, or dare I say convergence, that our stories gather again. Like comets orbiting the sun…

Beautifully said. I just hope I can write again without the drone of the plane!

1. andy townend says:

I am sure you will find a plane proxy!

6. I write to express myself and deal with the stresses of college and to write papers I am required to write

That’s excellent – so good to have a “place” to put it all out there.

7. Amy Sampson says:

I’m so happy you’re doing this too! It’s great to see everyone coming back!

Yes! Me too. I’m really excited to see what happens next πŸ™‚

8. This sounds like a fun challenge for you! I remember those days of photo 101, I learned tons which sparked my interesthe in photography! I’m always inspired by the photos that you and Lucie share. Good luck

Thanks so much Terri. Those were such lovely days. I miss them. I’m glad to be back and interacting with you all again 😊

9. Write, write, write. Just keep writing