Photo101Weekend2: Play With Light.

Brisbane, Australia
Brisbane, Australia

What a blistering hot weekend! One of the hottest on record, it was 38C yesterday and 42C today (that’s 100F and 107F)! I haven’t experienced temperatures anywhere near that in a long time. Consequently, our light is bright all day.

I mostly followed the brief and took photos of a single location over the day – 7am, 10am, 12noon, 5pm and 6pm (sunrise at 4:45am, sunset at 6:17pm). Here’s the result below. All using a 17mm lens (35mm equivalent) and ISO200.

Even with the bright Aussie sun, you can see the change in colour and feel of the light over the day – it’s starts out with a “blue” feel and warms to golden over the course of the day. It was a neat experiment. I used an alarm on my iPhone to remind myself to take my photos at the right time 🙂

In between, I played with my little gnomes and my Lego Batman that I picked up the other day and experimented with the placement of artificial light and daylight as well. If you hover over the image, you can see where the light was positioned.

I was inspired to buy a Lego Batman the other day and I’ve had the gnomes for a few months. My inspiration came from 2 Jen’s / Jenny’s blogs found here and here. I love what they both do with miniatures and wit macro and it’s something I hope to really try out one day.

So then I just had FUN with reflections. How cool is light?

I’m loving this, thank you to the organisers, this is so much fun. I feel like I’m improving, but I think most of all it’s taught me to open up and be creative and not be afraid to try something.

Looking forward to the week ahead!

1. I love your experiment. I’ll be using my phone alarm too and post later today. Though I’m having a rainy day. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks, looking forward to seeing the photos!

2. Desleyjane, you are such an inspiration! I love how you embraced this challenge 🙂 it was as educational for you as it was for me to see your results. I could see the change in light … and the shadows as a result. I’ve learned that the middle of the day is not the best time to shoot pictures because the sun is too harsh and the shadows too short. You can see that in your 12:00 photo. You can also see why early and late in the day are great times to shoot – the light and shadows are just lovely.

I also love your miniatures! So much fun. Great DOF on the last Batman.

Keep up the great work!

Thank you Stacy! That means a lot to me. It really was great fun AND a learning experience. So cool!

3. nty6x says:

Great job! It’s interesting to see the outcomes. The blistering aussie sun does make it abit hard sometimes as it tends to overexpose the images. Been thinking of getting a hood for the lens but not quite sure yet..
    Definitely love what you did with lego batman and his bokeh-ed batmobile. What surface are they on? It’s a nice touch.

Thank you! I’m thinking of getting one too, I also have a polarising filter that I haven’t tried out much.
      The surface is the top of a cabinet. I found this furniture with a shiny white coating ina crocodile skin pattern. Sounds weird, but it really works! The light bounces off of it very nicely close up.
      I even had fun building the batmobile LOL.

1. nty6x says:

Oh I just checked out what the polarising filter does. Seems like something I might try out!
        Good pick of the surface. It made it seem like mini tiles on lego scale! Hahaha yep yep legos are enjoyable 😁

4. andy says:

this is so interesting !! Loved each and every shot !!

Thank you Andy! Perhaps the gnomes might have been good for today’s “pop of colour” instead!

1. andy says:

so reuse the shots 😉

I am sooo tempted!

5. nalinki says:

cool time lapse. often the tiny differences in light, have a huge Impact on the atmosphere in the picture. the gnomes and batman are hilarious!

Thanks, I had so much fun with those little guys. I have SO many more photos but i had to show some restraint 😜