Photo101Weekend3: Hone Your Eye?

Lolly Cake. 17mm f/5.6 1/80s ISO400
Lolly Cake.
17mm f/5.6 1/80s ISO400

I’m not sure I’ve really addressed the brief today, but I wanted to try my hand at photographing food with a little more panache than usual. I’d like to have a go at styling and setting up a food “scene” sometime soon, but today I concentrated on the food itself, the composition and cropping to highlight the star of the show. One of my closest friends told me that I always have pink plates in my food photos, so I’ve also tried to shake that up a little πŸ˜‰

I went to a friend’s house today, there were about 10 of us getting together for a Tupperware party (LOL). She made mini pulled-pork tacos so I made a pineapple & mint salsa for her. We also had pot stickers (gyoza) and sausage rolls, as well as my favourite kiwi invention – Lolly Cake – and some other bits and pieces.

I also made my new specialty yesterday – Crab Linguini with Lemon, Chilli & Garlic – so easy to make and absolutely delicious. I might try it with prawns next time πŸ™‚

I’m happy to share any recipes, although I don’t have the Lolly Cake recipe, I’m sure I can get it for you.

(Note that I didn’t take the photos of the olive plate or the Lolly Cake today, those are from previous parties!)

I hope everyone has had a lovely weekend. I’m looking forward to tomorrow, but am also sad that it will be our last week. I will have to see what’s coming up to try out next!

1. nerdycanuck says:

Love food photography.. it inspired me to try it. Thanks so much for sharing.Everything looked delicious. If you have a chance, would appreciate it if you would stop by my blog. Let me know what you think. I love getting comments and feedback..
    http://oreosandspiltmilk.wordpress.com/2014/11/21/oh-canada/ Thanks for sharing.

Thank you. I will definitely stop by!

2. viaja2 says:

Son preciosas las fotos!
    Yo tambiΓ©n hago fotos de nuestras recetas y de los platos de restaurantes que visitamos, y no me salen tan bonitas.
    Da pena de que solo quede una semana de Photo 101.
    Saludos

3. I love where your focus point is on the lollycake. great job

Oo thank you. I’m a sucker for that effect πŸ˜„

4. The lolly cake looks a little like peanut butter, caramel, marshmallow bars. Yum!

It is very yum! My favourite. It’s made with New Zealand lollies called fruit puffs which are a bit like marshmallows but harder. And the brown mixture is sugar and other goodies (I should really get the recipe) πŸ˜„

1. Definitely! I wonder if an import store would have the New Zealand treats?? Have you seen them in Aussie-land?

Yep. My friend gets them at a “New Zealand shop” here in Brisbane. Some Coles supermarkets and IGAs have an NZ section.

1. Coles! I still have my Coles reusable bag I bought during my first trip to AU in 2006. Hubby accidentally threw the plastic base in the recycle bins but I forgave him and we found a replacement of sorts. πŸ˜€ I think there’s a British shop at a local mall that also sells AU stuff. Maybe they will sell NZ treats, too?? I’ll have to check.

LOL good old Coles πŸ˜‰ Can’t hurt to try the British shop. Where are you?

1. In Canada! Vague, yes. πŸ˜€ I wonder if I could substitute regular ol’ marshmallows in that recipe??

We generally serve it cold so probably could!

1. Any luck with finding a good recipe??

I’ll get it from my friend and post it on my blog. Yum!

Ok love, here’s the recipe: http://www.griffins.co.nz/recipes/recipe166
      Let me know how you go!!!

1. Thanks! I’m going to see if I can track down the cookies but might have to substitute with digestives.

I’m with my Kiwi friend. She says to use malt biscuits or shortbread-type biscuits. πŸ˜„

1. Wow! Sounds good. I’ll see what I can find. Although this may have to wait. I was at a cookie exchange this weekend and came home with 120 cookies. They are meant to be shared at holiday events but since we don’t have any, hubby and I are chomping away. Last year (embarrassingly), we ate the entire lot in a week. Yuck!!! But they were so delish! And we were sleep deprived with a baby! And it was cold and dark and we needed the support! And, uh… well, there simply must be an explanation.

5. I have no clue what all the food is, but you made them look very tasty!

LOL. I think I gave them hover-captions. Thank you!!

1. Yes, I just now saw that. I want the pasta! πŸ™‚

It was delicious. And very easy. Warm olive oil, lemon zest, chilli flakes and garlic. Then add lemon juice. Add all of this and the crab to the cooked pasta and gently mix through. For the leftovers, I just cooked up more of the oil/lemon/chilli/garlic mixture and heated the pasta and crab in that. Yum!

1. Delish! Thanks for sharing. I’ve filed it under my recipes so I have it for the future. πŸ˜€