Photo101(16): Treasures of Silver & Gold.

I’ve never thought of my jewellery as trophies. I’m here to take care of it, and to love it, for we are only temporary custodians of beauty. – Elizabeth Taylor.

I treasure many things, mainly my family, my friends and my little puppy Gidget. Lesser treasures are those shown here. I am not surrounded by Elizabeth Taylor level jewellery, just my modest collection. None of them are expensive, but most are dear to my heart because they were gifts from special people.

The silver ring with green stones was a gift from my parents for my 16th birthday and the gold one with three blue stones was a gift from them for my 18th (these are featured in my header image). The rose gold bow was a cheap find online but it’s so cute, it’s my favourite ring and I wear it and the silver with green stones every day.

One thing I learnt today – clean the table and the jewellery before photographing! The closeups have highlighted a hair trapped in the flower ring but, even worse, my very dirty glass tabletop. SO, I went back out at 6:30pm, with my overhead fairy lights on and re-did the shoot. Consequently, I had to use a high ISO (1000 – 1250) and very slow shutter speed – I rested my camera on a folded tea towel to hold it steady!

PS – here is my other little treasure, who was sitting under the table the entire time I was photographing these little jewels.

Treasure in the Flesh.
Treasure in the Flesh.

1. anujakokrady says:

I love rings! and… silver! such pretty rings! I can keep looking at them 🙂

LOL, me too. I have some more but I thought I shouldn’t go overboard 😉

2. Beautiful shots of some very treasured jewellery.

Thanks Michelle. I think you can tell by the worn patches 😉

3. Jill's Scene says:

The tea towel is a handy tip, Desleyjane. Had to laugh about the dog hair – I’m forever discovering unwanted imperfections in my photos – smear or smudge and often dog hair! But you got the results! Lovely photos.

Thanks Jill. Yes it’s a problem, but I’m ok with it 😉 Lucky she’s cute.

4. Sandi says:

I don’t know what is lovelier, the jewelry or the way you have captured its sparkle and shine in your pictures. (I still am struggling with focus, etc., but you have mastered it, clearly.)

Aw thanks Sandi, that’s so lovely of you. I had dinner with a friend’s husband (and the friend 😉) earlier this year and he taught me so much over the pappadums and korma. I think my reflective table helps a lot!
      Thanks again x.

5. kazg10 says:

What lovely treasures Desley, especially your little pooch. I really like your jewellery but the little bottle is quite unique and beautiful 🙂

Thanks for that. I can’t even remember where I got the bottle. Probably on holiday in Melbourne many years ago. It is on a long chain and sits about mid-chest. Thanks again!

6. gfchopstix says:

Love the reflection of your rings on the glass. Gidget is too cute! Looks spoiled 😛

Maybe just a little bit ☺️
      Thank you so much.

7. Andy Townend says:

Excellent photos and they mean so much more with your words…

Thank you Andy. It’s funny, I don’t really think about the rings, I just wear them every day. But this post made me realise that they mean a lot to me…

1. Andy Townend says:

A post worth its weight in gold then…

8. nalinki says:

Lovely rings and even more lovely dog 🙂 I have two bunny rabbits and two cats, a house free of hair is just an illusion for me. My pets always try to “help” me while I do a closeup (catching, moving and hunting the object in front of me).

How cute. Yes! That’s exactly what she does. I think she was not amused that I put everything on the table this time, out of her reach! Thanks for your comments!

9. oooh la la its all stunning but most of all your cute doggy. Brilliant photographs..what is the second down ball shaped piece of jewellery i love it but cant work out what it is? Want to see more of it lol x

Thank you! Do you mean the bronze-y bottle that I’ve also done in black and white? It’s a pendant, quite heavy and am really not sure what it is. It’s intricate, with little “gems” all over it. It’s like a bottle but doesn’t open. Ooo it’s a mystery 😊

1. ah yes i had a suspicion it might be a pendant it does look really lovely x

I have stopped wearing necklaces because they get in the way of my robots at work. But I am not in the lab so much these days so I think it’s time to start wearing them again x.

1. oh what do you do for work? x

I sell, install and teach other scientists how to use liquid handling robotics in science labs. Most often in labs where they are extracting DNA from blood and then they work out the sequence of the DNA. X

10. ohiophotogrl says:

Great use of macro today! Nice work! And your faithful assistant is a cutie!

Thank you! Yes she is a cutie…

11. I agree with Sandi. You really showed us the sparkle of the jewels. Love the reflections you were able to capture. Nice post!

Thank you. I had fun doing it. Even the second time around!

12. these are great shots!

Thank you! I appreciate that.