Long days, photo two ways (Rehab8)

IMG_2745Waiting.
Trapped behind glass.
Desperate to enter.
Denied.
The light will conquer the darkness.
Waiting.

With so many hours of my time spent waiting in airports and sitting on planes, I have really enjoyed flicking through my photos and playing with editing techniques.

This photo was taken kind of at random in a coffee shop in Melbourne (7Seeds, reviewed previously). I loved the light coming in the window but wasn’t thrilled with the markings on the glass. The light provided great ambience for the food photos (shown in that previous review) but I wasn’t sure about the windows.

Anyway, I don’t delete many photos and as I said, when boredom strikes, I see what I can do. ๐Ÿ˜›

I like the header image – I think it provides a mystery of what’s behind the window. It could be aliens! The photo was taken on my iPhone6 and edited in the Photos app and in Camera+. I cropped and straightened the photo to line up the edges and decreased the exposure a little – the iPhone tends to let in a little extra light when there’s lots available. I converted to mono, decreased the highlights and brought out some more detail in the brick by lightening the shadows. Here it is again:
IMG_2745.JPG

In this next edit, I kept the colour and increased the saturation to bring out the red and gold (would you have guessed there would be red, based on the mono version??). I then decreased the brightness to darken the brick area under the window and also darken the light behind the windows. A few tweaks to the light settings in the Photos app to finish it off. I like this one too because of the contrast between the black and the colours.

IMG_2746.JPG

As usual, I welcome your feedback and I wish you a wonderful day / evening.

PS I’ve made a third edit, monochrome but brightness decreased to blacken the background.

IMG_2747.JPG

1. It does look like someone is behind. I have no pref both are fab i maybe edge towards the colour. I just started looking at Lightroom tutorials wow so more complex than I thought x

Thanks Justine x.
      I really don’t know enough to use Lightroom to its fullest.

1. yes its definitely a minefield ๐Ÿ™‚ x

2. I know black and white images add a lot of drama to photographs, but most of the time I’m inclined to color. Color drives me crazy. Maybe there’s someting in the water, or the air, or the food in the Tropics that pushes us toward polychromy. You guessed it, I liked your color photograph so much more.

There, I said it.

Cheers,

Omar.-

LOL. Excellent! I’m glad you like it. Sometimes colour can add drama too!

3. Mara Eastern says:

This is totally amazing. I couldn’t choose between the b and w and colour, but after careful consideration, colour is the one that I prefer. Great atmopshere in the photos.

Thabks lovely. I think the colour is sharper too which helps. I almost didn’t touch the photo after converting to mono but I wanted to highlight the red. X

4. tildy1 says:

Each photo gives off a different vibe! I like them both. I think I like the vivid color photo best. It seems more unusual.

Thanks Tildy1. I like it too. It’s such a weird pattern in the glass, I wish I’d paid more attention to what was behind it!

1. tildy1 says:

It’s a mystery!

5. Andy Townend says:

I love this!!! The words and the images resonate so much with me….I would love to have taken these photos and chosen those words, egotistical I know, but so cool….

Andy thank you! You were some inspiration for me here I think. X

1. Andy Townend says:

If that is the case, then I am humbled.. ๐Ÿ™‚

It is, I thought of you when I decided to add some words to it. I was on the plane flying home from Sydney and it just seemed to fit. I hope you don’t mind โ˜บ๏ธ

1. Andy Townend says:

I am touched, that means a lot, thank you…

You’re most welcome. It’s always a pleasure to see what you’ll come up with next!

6. Andy Townend says:

Oh, and I like the mono shot, but then, I would…

Of course! ๐Ÿ˜„

7. Oooo… I really like this one. First, the swirls on the left remind me of ghosts or graffiti. Then all the different textures jump out and I try to figure out what I’m seeing. Well done!

Thanks Hilary ๐Ÿ˜€ It was such a random shot but turned out quite cool in the end.

8. By “this one”, I mean the B&W one. I didn’t read the whole post and saw the color one later. ๐Ÿ˜€

Did you see the “last one” as well? I updated my post with a third edit but I was half asleep when I did at midnight!

1. Now I did! I’m sticking with my first choice. I like the bars in the middle lighter. Why? I think the first one is spooky happy. The last one seems sullen somehow.

I like your style Hilary ๐Ÿ˜‰

9. Krosscourt says:

last edit for me. ALL wonderful. Your skills are certainly apparent . Wow. the tea images are wunnnderfullllll. Nicely done. *clapping*

Thanks lovely, that’s so touching to hear. โ˜บ๏ธ