Momentarily Terrified

QF611

There’s a constant drone in an airplane.

If you remove your headphones, you can listen to it.

But inevitably you will stop hearing it.

Until there’s a change in the frequency, the timbre of the sound.

Then there’s that feeling in your tummy. Why did the sound change?

You steal a few furtive glances at the other passengers nearby. Did anybody else notice?

You look out the window.

Into darkness.

Nothing else changes.

Nobody seems to notice. All staring at screens or trying to sleep.

Back to normal. As normal as possible at 35,000 feet.

You sit back.

Listen to that constant drone.

It becomes comforting.

Imagine if it disappeared.

Ok I don’t really know where that came from. I watched a movie (Taken 3) and then started another one (Foxcatcher) but then I became incredibly tired and tried to nap. Couldn’t nap. So out came the iPhone and this is the result.

This post is for Justine’s Ecelctic Corner #11 – Momentarily. Last week, we shared a photo for momentarily. This week we share a written piece. Next week will be a quotation.

I have also been nominated by Pommepal at Gypsy Life to post 5 photos over 5 days, with accompanying stories/musings/notes and also nominations for others to join the event.

This is day 2.

I’ve participated in this event a few times before and I quite enjoy coming up with something new each day and I really like trying to write something new as well. I haven’t managed to write something today, as I am travelling and don’t have a lot of time, but I will over the next 4 posts for this event.

Given that I’ve done this before and nominated a number of people before, I would like to just open the nominatinos to anyone who would like to join the event. It’s fun and challenging to find something each day. It can be useful to pick a theme for your 5 photos (eg black&white or portraits or architecture, etc). If you feel inclined, please join in.

1. andy townend says:

This is excellent. I wish I had written it myself, this style appeals to me a lot!

Wow thank you Andy. That is a very special comment x.

1. andy townend says:

Some very special writing and looking forward to more!

2. Norah says:

I like the way you’ve written this piece. I feel the breathing stop and the ears alert in an attempt to ascertain whether a momentary uncertainty should escalate to terror. I’ve been there once or twice myself.

Thank you Norah. I really appreciate that. It’s an “interesting” experience 😉

Nicely written! Made me momentarily hold my breath and hope that the drone continues. Good pic to go with it too 🙂

Thank you Deb. I’m so glad!

4. Great job! This certainly fits my experience flying. 🙂 Interesting challenge! I’m going to check it out.

Thanks luv. Yes please do! It’s fun. I’m going to do a haiku today 😉

5. afairymind says:

An interesting piece. The style fits the content really well, perfectly conveying the fear of the moment. Well done. 🙂

Thank you, I really appreciate that 🙂

6. Mara Eastern says:

That is positively scary. I never loved flying, but since the Alps incident, I’m actually afraid of it… On a happier note, air transport is supposed to be the safest way to travel. So many happy returns!

LOL. It IS scary but it’s part of my everyday life so sometimes I forget that I’m actually so far above the earth!

7. inidna says:

I actually read this post after I stepped off a plane and it’s totally relatable! This sound is exactly what I listen for whenever I’m on a plane – whether it’s loud all of a sudden or really quiet and ‘constant’. I always wonder why others aren’t looking around (freaked out) like I am! Ever since watching Final Destination (lame, I know) I have been so scared of flying so this is like something from out of my head. Great post! 🙂

LOL not lame at all!!! That movie is freaky but I still love it. Thank you 🙂

8. Omg I just spotted this it didn’t come up on my reader as a ping back so apologies or would have caught you earlier and…

Omg…you know I hate flying right? That is how I feel almost constantly on a plane. That totally sent a shiver down my spine and put me off again lmao!!!

Very well written and thank you for joining in 😍😍

Sorry luv, didn’t mean to put you off 😉
      Don’t worry, I’m about to get on a plane to experience it all again! X
      My pleasure.

1. haha, well i will still fly this summer, so no damage done, just felt it, which is down to your great writing x

9. brittabottle says:

Great piece and lovely picture. I come from a family of pilots, air traffic controllers, and general flying enthusiasts so I’ve never feared flying…but I think we all have those moments of, perhaps, irrational fear. They can happen anywhere.

Thanks Britta. Yes I’ve been flying for my job for about 11 years now so it’s become second nature. But there’s definitely that occasional moment. We had a very turbulent trip home last night. But I just rolled with it 😉

1. brittabottle says:

Sometimes (most of the time?) rolling with it is your best option! Better than having a melt down in the middle of the cabin, I suppose. 😉

LOL yes nobody needs to see that!

10. pommepal says:

Oh yes that would be a scary moment. Worst thing is there is nothing you can do about it.

11. I will start paying attention in that noise from now on. How scary!
    But the most important to say is how well you write thrillers. You are a natural. Fresh. Top Fresh.

Years of practice watching horror movies LOL. Thanks hun x.

Congrats on your top entry for Tea Time #11 – so cleverly done 🙂