A Housewarming Gift

I live in Melbourne, almost 2,000km from Brisbane, where I lived before. When I was looking for somewhere to live, it was difficult to do so from Brisbane. Online tools are very useful, but it’s just not the same as seeing the apartment in the flesh. Once I had found a place I liked (based on the pictures online) I was very lucky to have a friend in Melbourne who was able to go seeย it for me and honestly tell me what he thought. He’s someone I’ve known for a long time and who’s opinion I value and trust. I’m very thankful for him doing that for me, and I’m not sure I’ve told him that properly. Hmmnnnn, I will do that this week.

I came down to Melbourne about a week later to sign the lease and have a quick look for myself first. The place has turned out to be great, I really love it. It suits me well, I’ve set things up how I want them, although I still have a lot of unpacking to do!

One thing I haven’t done yet, is get some plants for my terrace. I wasn’t able to transport plants interstate, so I left them all behind and have to start from scratch, which I hope to do next weekend. Actually, I had hoped to do that this weekend, but I accidentally got addicted to Netflix ๐Ÿ˜‰

Anyway, on Saturday morning, my friend (who investigated the apartment for me) came to visit. He hadn’t seen the place since that visit when it was completely empty, so I was excited to see what he thought now that I’ve moved in. He loved it, and said the nicest thing … he said “I love it, you’ve put the Desley stamp on it”.ย I’ll take some photos once I’ve finished unpacking and share them with you.

In the meantime, he brought me a lovely housewarming gift, a beautiful little plant – my first one here. So of course, I had to photograph it.

For the gardeners out there, it is a Cyclamen.

1. Norah says:

I hope you’ll be very happy in your new home. It’s nice to hear that you’ve already put your own stamp on it. What a wonderful gift is a plant that gives more as it grows.

Thanks Norah, we are settling in nicely. MissG is snoring on the couch next to me. I’ve potted my plant and it looks happy and I’ve also got down friends for it ๐Ÿ˜‰

1. Norah says:

Wonderful! Enjoy! ๐Ÿ™‚

2. A lovely gentle post. Deciding on an apartment, sight unseen, is a bit like acquiring a dog (or a husband) you haven’t met. You were so lucky to have a friend who obviously knows you to audition it for you. I,km looking forward to meeting it in more detail.

(When I bought my Broken Hill house I actually asked to spend the night in it before I committed to a long term relationship.)

Thank you. So nice to hear that. LOL yes I can’t quite imagine acquiring a husband I hadn’t met. Hahahaha. Yes I am lucky to have had my friend here. I’m still working on unpacking. I have to stop hurting myself.
      I love that you spent be night in your home before diving in ๐Ÿ˜‰

3. brittabottle says:

The flowers are so lovely, Desley! I’m so glad to hear you’re getting settled into your new place. ๐Ÿ™‚

Thanks so much Britta.

4. TanGental says:

So you can’t transport plants interstate? That’s pretty strict. I know the authorities are paranoid about bringing them in from outside – the apple core caused a frenzy of terrorist proportions when I flew into Sydney a few years ago – but interstate too. Wow!

Sorry I didn’t reply to this! No, you can’t transport plants due to bugs like fire ants and the like. You can probably have them checked and done that way, but I had too much to do already LOL.

5. The bottoms of the flower heads are as interesting as the petals. Cool angles you chose. And, I have an “accidental” addiction to Netflix too! It’s so hard not to binge watch!

Thank you! LOL I’ve been doing it even more often lately. ๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š

6. GF-Chopstix says:

Love Cyclamens – such pretty flowering plants. Such a lovely house warming gift from your friend. He obviously knows what your favourite colour is too :p

He knows me well. Actually he commented that it wasn’t the right shade of pink haha.

1. GF-Chopstix says:

Now that is perceptive! haha ๐Ÿ˜€

7. Beautiful flowers!
    So small yet so vibrant.
    Great photo!!
    Glad to see you are adjusting well to your new home!

Thank you. I love them.

8. Jill's Scene says:

I love cyclamens, desleyjane, and these shots made me look more closely at the the photos and think more about why I like the flower. It’s all about the delicate nature of the petals. Best wishes for the unpacking.

Thanks Jill, it’s wonderful to evoke that reaction.

9. I love your photos of the cyclamen! I have a few of those in flowerbeds on my front porch, in different colors. They last a long time throughout the California winter and into late spring. A couple have randomly popped up as volunteers in the bricks! Hope you get more!

Oh I love plants that spring out of bricks and woodworks!

10. pommepal says:

A cyclamen is perfect it keeps flowering for so long, and your friend knows you well he bought a pink one…Looking forward to seeing photos of your new home…

Thank you. I’ve repotted it into a lovely pot and it’s on my dining table. A very happy plant ๐Ÿ˜Š

Happy housewarming to you. What a lovely friend!