iTerrarium

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Now that I live in a small apartment on the fifth floor, I have no grass or garden area. All of my gardening will be done in pots. I previously showed some photos of a cyclamen that my friend gave me – that was my first plant here in the new place. I have also started my little cactus collection on my pink plant stand and I’ll share some shots of those sometime soon too.

I’ve now added two terrariums to my space and I love them. This one is an open terrarium in the shape of an apple (it’s my iTerrarium πŸ˜‹) – it has an opening at the front and requires watering once or twice each week. It is filled with tiny succulents and is it’s own lovely little microenvironment.

Open terrariums are better suited to succulents, as they don’t require very much water very often. Being open, it stops moisture building up so that the succulents grow properly. Also, they can be exposed to direct sunlight, since the heat that builds up can escape.

Have you ever kept a terrarium? While not strictly “in the garden”, I’m hoping Jude accepts this for her Macro in the Garden challenge.

Also, I’ve been nominated by both Robin at Reflections for My Soul and Pauline at Gypsy Life to participate in the Seven Days of Nature challenge, where we post a nature photo each day for seven days and invite nominate someone to join the challenge each day. Robin shares my passion for flower photography and Pauline shares wonderful photos from her home on the Gold Coast near Brisbane and her travels. Please go visit their blogs, you won’t be disappointed.

Today I’d like to nominate Deb from Deb’s World to join the challenge. Deb is a wonderful blogger who inspires me all the time. She shares her world via her iPhone, often giving us shots she takes while on her running adventures. The link above will show you some fantastic shots of Uluru in The Northern Territory.

… Seven Days of Nature (1/7)…

1. Ninette D.S says:

Think you’ve just given me another thing to add to my list of new hobbies for 2016 .. Indoor gardening! Lovely photos πŸ˜€

Oh thank you. Yes it’s lots of fun. And you find so many cute little things in there!

2. Su Leslie says:

What a good idea! Lovely shots.

3. pommepal says:

Well done what an unusual start. You can’t keep a gardener down, no matter what the environment. I love these mini gardens and so easy to care for. Thank you for the link.

Thanks PP. I guess I didn’t point out that I didn’t make it. I bought it readymade! There’s a couple here in Brunswick who make so many of them. Their little apartment is full of plants. My pleasure, thank you for the nomination 😊

1. pommepal says:

I notice a couple of the plants will eventually grow quite big…

Yes I thought so too. I’ll keep you posted πŸ˜‰πŸ˜‰

4. wonderful pics, might need to pick your brain on terrarium care, Hubby wants one

I bought it at the Rose Street Market on the weekend. Very easy to care for. I have a closed on as well which is another post in a few days.

1. cool…….I think we are looking at a closed one (I think) maybe both too lol

I was after a closed one too but when I saw this one I had to have it. Plus the open one can have succulents because it can dry out and I love succulents.

Succulents won’t do so well on a closed one because it’s too moist. They’re like me, they need air πŸ˜‰πŸ˜‰

5. Love these! Really fresh and pretty looking. πŸ™‚

Thanks Marje! I love it too, I’m so glad I found them.

6. inidna says:

I’m not much of a “plant person” but your photos make me really want to get a terrarium πŸ˜› Your little iTerrarium looks super cool!

Thanks Dini. It’s so cute, I love it. There were so many choices at the little market where I found it. I love having some greenery around. I didn’t realize that until I didn’t have any anymore.

7. Geert Smits says:

I love it πŸ™‚ But … since all my bonsai trees died on me I concluded that I was born without green thumbs haha!

Oh yes my bonsai trees never made it either. I think I want to try again. I thought I might do a little bonsai class actually. I think you can “cultivate” green thumbs lol. πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

8. Heyjude says:

These are beautiful. I love the iTerrarium πŸ˜‰
    I once had a terrarium but the plants grew too big and I found it difficult to regulate the moisture so then they rotted, so I gave up. It was a fairly large bottle too! But I like the idea of your miniatures, I wonder how they will fare. And thank you for linking to the challenge (macros). I do like this theme too with the header filling half the screen. Looks most impressive πŸ™‚

Thanks Jude! I’m really enjoying this new theme. I hope that the plants won’t grow too big but I can see that it might be a problem. Thanks again.

9. I love the apple, your photos, the information and your inventiveness. And of course it’s close-ups in the garden.

Thanks so much Meg. However, I have to admit that I didn’t make it. I ferreted out a lovely local maker (I’m fond of makers) and bought two from her.

1. Yes, but you were inventive in deciding to go terrarium, and then finding terrarium.

Of course! Thanks Meg, I like your style.

10. I love this idea! It might work here in England as well, with this type of protective environment. I need to check where they sell some. Did you buy it as a whole or did you plant it yourself?

Thanks Kristyna! I purchased as is. It’s gorgeous, she did such a good job of putting it together. Moisture is the only issue, so an open one in England would be great. Especially if it can get direct sunlight on it. I have a closed one as well but I think in a cool and wet environment, it might not dry out enough.

11. Mara Eastern says:

That’s a wonderful idea on bringing a little garden to a flat πŸ™‚ I’m almost tempted to look into getting something like, even though I know that plants typically die in my care. It’s a minor miracle how I manage to keep my cat alive.

I think this type of thing would survive. It just needs a little mist of water once each week. Maybe you could train the cat to operate the water bottle?

1. Mara Eastern says:

Haha, that would be great πŸ™‚ I can’t stop laughing at the idea of my cat watering my plants…

LOL. I’m sure Gidget would promise to do it and then just lie on the couch all day.

12. RuthsArc says:

Love your terrarium. What a lovely idea for those of us without gardens.

Thanks Ruth, it’s a perfect little contained garden and so sweet.

13. tildy1 says:

Where there is a will there is a way…smart way for you to keep gardening!

Thanks Tildy. I adore it. It’s on my tv cabinet so I see it all the time.

1. tildy1 says:

I neglect to water my plants…perhaps by the tv is a good idea!

I love this idea and the fact that you’ve called it iTerrarium – very clever! I also love that you’ve nominated me and said such lovely things about my blog πŸ™‚ I’ll try to take up the challenge. Love all your photos, you are so very clever and creative. Thanks again xx

😊😊 thank you Deb. Thanks for joining the challenge xox.

15. I also live in a small apartment without any grass or a garden. I used to have a lot of plants in pots, but when I moved I just gave it up completely. There’s only one small plant in my apartment now, it’s hidden away behind some curtains and it has mastered the art of being neglected.

LOL that’s some good mastering!

16. restlessjo says:

Gorgeous! πŸ™‚ We used to have a sizeable one but in the end it got overgrown and leggy. Lovely idea though. πŸ™‚

Thanks Jo. I’m interested to see how this one grows out. It’s super cute now but I wonder how big some of these plants will grow.

1. restlessjo says:

You’ll have to get in there with the scissors. πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

LOL I might just do that!

17. So beautiful! Your artistic eye for composition is evident in your lovely terrariums!

18. These are adorable! I just purchased a couple of flats of succulents, yesterday, for a project I’ve had in mind for several years. Hopefully, I’ll actually complete the project before they die.

Thanks Michelle. Succulents are pretty resilient, they should be ok 😊

19. Besides the beauty of this shot, I’m impressed with your new terrarium. I’m your client when you come to visit us. Loved it! Want to do the same. Stunning.

Isn’t it marvellous?!?! I didn’t make it, I just found the people who make them and very carefully selected it lol!

1. Yes, it is! Oh, you should have let me be impressed!! Lol cx

20. neoncobalt3 says:

Love your terrariums! Where do you find such small succulents?