Closed Terrarium

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

I picked up two terrariums on the weekend – one open (my iTerrarium, which you can see here) and this closed terrarium.

The closed terrarium is a very groovy thing. It houses different plants from the open one – plants that like moisture, like ferns and mosses. If done properly, with the right soil conditions (note that the soil must be fertile to avoid mould growth), it can be a completely self-contained little environment. As we know, plants convert sunlight, water and carbon dioxide into sugar and oxygen, which they need to survive (this process is called photosynthesis).

It isΒ recommended to open the terrarium once a week or so to remove excess moisture if required. Also, it may require some water occasionally, depending on where it is situated, how much light and heat it experiences.

This is another submission to Jude’s Macro in the Garden challenge. And also my 6th of Seven Days of Nature as nominated by Robin from Reflections for My Soul and Pauline from Gypsy Life.

Today, I’d like to nominate Amy Sampson from Playing With My First DSLR CameraΒ to join in – Amy is doing a marvellous job of Project 365 with exquisite photos – perhaps your next week could be nature shots?

…Seven Days of Nature (6/7)…

1. I love this sonata in green! And the information about terrariums. They’re on a scale I’m unused to, being a woman of the bush. I’m enjoying your city gardening very much. J’s doing some apartment gardening here, but it’s not elegant. Utilitarian more.

Thanks so much Meg. LOL – not elegant. I’ve left my terrariums for a week so I’m hoping they’re doing ok without me!

2. Mara Eastern says:

Oh wow! You got me hooked. This is such a beautiful idea. I need to research to see if I can get one of these too. I never was into planting things but this looks very special.

Thanks Mara! Let me know how you get on!

3. Heyjude says:

It looks like a big sweetie jar! Full of green goodness. I wish you well with it – as I said previously I never had much luck with terrariums (or should that be terrarii?)

I think it is! Thanks, we’ll see you it goes πŸ˜‰

4. Amy Sampson says:

Love the terrariums! The open one is my favourite. I don’t have the foggiest clue where I’d buy the plants for one though. Everything I find to grow is food. lol

I’ll happily do the seven days of nature thing. It won’t be for my 365 though. I’ll make it its own thing. Not sure when I’ll start. Today is my day off, but it’s not picture taking weather. 😦

The open one is my favourite too. It’s super cute. And has succulents. My favourite. Thanks for joining the challenge. Good luck for better weather!!

5. I simply love this! Fabulous idea and shot. Thanks for sharing the knowledge.

My pleasure. Thanks so much.

6. pommepal says:

Lovely miniature green haven in your jar.. It should be ok for a while on its own.

Thanks PP. I’ll be home tomorrow to check on the little guys.