New Year Eve Fireworks

Happy New Year!

I can’t believe how long I’ve been away. I’ve had the busiest travel schedule since about September last year, with only 3 weeks where I stayed home in Melbourne for the entire week during those 4 months. Quite a struggle but it’s over now.

I hope everyone had a wonderful holiday break and a lovely New Years Eve. I arrived back in Melbourne on the 30th December, and my best friend from Brisbane came down to spend NYE with me and a few days afterwards as well. We caught up with two other friends for dinner at a fab Greek restaurant nearby and then relaxed on my balcony afterwards with a cup of tea and some mint slice (so old, I know) while waiting for the fireworks.

I’ve never photographed fireworks before so this was quite the learning experience for me. My balcony doesn’t face the city, and the walls of the balcony are very high (above my head) but you can see the city if you get up on a ladder and lean out a little.

Sounds a lot more dangerous than it is.

So, the walls are high, which means I can’t use a tripod, so me and my trusty Olympus are going handheld again. You need a pretty slow shutter for fireworks, so handheld is a fools game here, but I gave it a go anyway.

I’m also about 4km from the city, so it’s quite a distance away. These shots are all at ISO1000 and cropped in quite a bit. The first ones are a display over to the east of Melbourne. The last one in this group in over the city.

Someone said “Don’t Use Macro” when someone asked for tips for shooting fireworks. Now, if you know me, you know my macro lens is my favourite lens. It’s also 120mm equivalent. So I gave it a go. And I’m glad I did. While the shots aren’t sharp and there is some camera shake (I’m not surprised since it was handheld for 4 – 10 seconds per shot), I’m still happy with the results overall. And I can’t wait to get much closer and with a tripod next time.

Here’s to the new year! And here’s to reconnecting.

Thanks and to you too.

Thanks Julz. It was sooo hard. Need a little gorilla tripod maybe. But would be petrified of it falling off the wall.

1. I have a little gorrila tripod, but I think my camera is too heavy for it, I use it with my little speed light

1. your camera is so light I think it might be worth the small investment

2. disperser says:

I bought a Platypod Pro. It supports my camera no problem.

They have a larger model too. You do need a head for it too, but I use the one from my monopod. The gorilla tripod works for my smaller lenses, but no the 105mm macro or the 70-200mm.

Looks like an interesting setup. Thanks for sharing.

1. Norah says:

Happy New Year!

Thanks Norah!! You too!!

2. loisajay says:

I think they turned out great! Who watched your dog while you were gone?!

Thanks Lois! Actually she came with me. First time flying for her. Flew about 1200 miles each way, 4 separate flights in total. Frequent flying pooch. 😊🐢

3. brittabottle says:

I really love the bokeh effect that the City lights take on in some of these photos. They help to create really creative and artistic images alongside the pop of the fireworks. Well done, Desley! It’s also nice to see you back in the blogosphere again. πŸ™‚

Aw thank you Britta. It was fun to do and all over so quickly. With about 10s per exposure, you miss a lot but I’m happy with the results plus it taught me a lot!

4. susurrus says:

Happy New Year, welcome back and thanks for sharing these atmospheric pictures. The Australian fireworks are always something we look forward to in England, but this year, I’ve been in the US and it seemed surreal how many hours ahead of us you were.

Thanks Susan. I know, it’s crazy isn’t it?

5. Su Leslie says:

Happy New Year. These shots have come out really well — especially considering the constraints. I tried a couple of hand-held shots of the NYE fireworks where I was but they were pretty rubbish. I could blame the champagne …. Or maybe not. Anyway, here’s to another year of creativity and adventure. I’m looking forward to seeing where your photo journey takes you.

Thanks Su! Yes!! Here’s to a creative and adventurous 2017. Looking forward to coming along with you.

6. Heyjude says:

I think they have turned out great and definitely convey the atmosphere. Glad to see you back in the blogosphere DJ and hope you will be around more now. I miss your creativeness xx

Thanks so much Jude. I’ve missed you guys so much. So glad to be back. X

7. SkΓ₯l! I like your firework photos. Here it was thick fog and I spent the night at home with my favorite guy for new years eve. Godt nyttΓ₯r!

Yay! Thanks CG. That sounds like a pretty good way to spend the night! HNY.

8. It’s so good to see you back: I’ve hunted a few times to make sure you weren’t posting without me knowing. And you come back with a bang and a whizz and fountains and explosions of light. They’re great firework photos, especially but by no means only, the sidebar one. Hope your year proceeds with bang, whizz, explode and fountain too – a year of light and beauty. I’m looking forward to sharing bits of it.

So glad to be back Meg. Thanks so much. I’m so glad to hear from you. I was happy to get a few good ones here. Yes that sounds like a wonderful way for the year to proceed. Best wishes to you and your family. How much of your year remains!

9. Good job. You sound like my neighbour who stands in his bathtub to get a view of Port Phillip Bay.😎

Hahahaha love it.