Of Wasps and Bees

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

I found this little guy on my windowsill and transferred him to my white side table. A simple process you might think, but I refused to touch it and was too lazy to get up so I used my lens cap instead. Which wasn’t really appropriate but it worked eventually.

I thought it was a bee at first, but then he seemed too large and looked quite different to others so I called him a wasp. However, @heyjude told me that she thought it was a bee so I did some investigating and I think she’s right, so this paragraph is my edit to correct myself. Thanks Jude!

I don’t know what it is that he’s gripping at his head – I think it’s a tiny chip of paint. This little guy is a little under 2 centimetres long. I used my Olympus OMD EM5 with the macro lens – my favourite setup, and I used Lightroom as usual to edit the photos to bring out more detail. As usual, I have gone with fairly high contrast settings.

I’ll leave you with this close-up of his gossamer wing, which I find fascinating.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

I did photograph a bee last year and the photos are quite similar – you can see that post here.
For Lucile’s Photo101 Rehab Clinic.
xΒ desleyjane

1. brittabottle says:

Oh my goodness, I am in awe of the detailed beauty of these photos, Desley. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again–you’re macro photography is AMAZING. The way you find beauty in the smallest and most unexpected places…I love it!

Thank you Britta!!!!

2. lens cap?! hahaha! The detail in these shots is amazing.

Haha yah lens cap was the product of laziness!! Thanks so much.

1. hey whatever works. I would say lazy….I’d say…innovative….quick thinking…resourceful!

Thanks, you should write all my job applications πŸ˜‰

2. that should be wouldn’t not would haha!

3. Norm 2.0 says:

Awesome shots. I’m definitely going to try this the next time I find a dead wasp, bee, or other interesting insect.

Thanks Norm! Yes you just need some light and a good surface.

4. Heyjude says:

Great images, but you say wasp? Isn’t this a honeybee? I think of wasps being less hairy! Or maybe they are different in Australia πŸ˜‰

I think you’re right, I wasn’t sure. I did some checking and I think yes wasps are smoother. He just looked longer and skinnier than other bees but maybe he was trying to be a model πŸ˜‰ Thanks so much!

1. Heyjude says:

I’m no expert! Wasps are more aggressive though, so I tend to stay a long way from them.

Well I did get you some back up with google images. LOL. They definitely seem nastier. Lucky this one was not … alive.

5. Really, really tremendous Desley! Your macros are always a treat. πŸ’–

6. Absolutely unbelievable, Desley!! The detail is amazing and I love the white background – brilliantly done. And what a patient little one he was to stay out as you worked your magic πŸ™‚

Thanks so much Stacy. Unfortunately he had already left this world before I started 😝

1. Ah, I hear I was going to add “insect bravery” to your list of skills πŸ˜‰ Actually, I think I still will – alive or not, they make me squeamish!

Me too! You should have seen my face while tying to move it 😝

7. tildy1 says:

Fantastic! So much detail!

Thanks Tildy 😊

8. badfish says:

all very cool images, you are definitely getting good at closeups! I love that last wing shot!!

Thanks me too. Actually I entered that one into a photo comp. 😬😬

1. badfish says:

good luck…!!! let me know if you win

Thank you! I will!

Thank you, I loved doing this.

9. DJ, this wasp-bee is zen. It’s doing yoga asanas/poses. Truly.
    But tell me just one thing, handheld again? Of course.
    I bow to the Queen and Empress!
    Stunning.

LOL thank you. Yes handheld, but resting on a tabletop and balancing on my lens cap to get the required angle πŸ˜‰πŸ˜‰

1. I read a review this week comparing all olympus. Guess what, the EM5, contrary to mine the EM10, has a stabilizing system which is better and allows for sharper handheld macro photography! You see, even there you win! Lol

LOL, yes it truly is an amazing camera. I love it.

1. And I love what you do. Xx