Beautiful Brisbane – May 2015

We have a tourism catchphrase here in Queensland – Beautiful one day, perfect the next….

It is a beautiful city and I am very happy to showcase one small part of it for Cardinal’s Monthly Changing Seasons Event. The idea is to return to the same place each month and take photographs to show the changes throughout the year.

For my Changing Seasons site, I chose Southbank Parklands – here are the links my previous submissions from January and March. Here also is the link to the post about the Nepalese temple that is featured in some of the photos below.

Here in Brisbane, we don’t get a lot of seasonal changes, so this month I thought I would show you some evening shots. It was a mad dash to leave work in time to get there for sunset and be able to get some glowing orange cloud shots, then I set up the tripod to capture the Treasury Building across the water. I love the reflections in the water and I spent a lot of time experimenting with my settings to see what effects I could get in the water.

I hope you enjoyed this evening at Southbank 🙂

1. Thank you for making Brisbane look wonderful at night. In July, I visit with my two grandchildren (16 / 12) for theatre and a night of relative hotel luxury. They live on Mt Tamborine, so city lights could even be a treat.

My absolute pleasure. What are you going to see? We’re seeing Dirty Dancing in July… My Tamborine is gorgeous.

1. Us too. Matinee on 4th. I’m lucky to have one child on Mt Tamborine, one in Stanthorpe and one in Warsaw, where I am now. They’ve chosen well!

Wow that’s quite an array of destinations – excellent!! I think our show is the following weekend.

2. nalinki says:

awesome! that’s a truly beautiful city

3. Wow! Brilliant gallery. I really love the night shots with the river and the city!

Thanks am glad you like them. I had a great time. It will be good to put pics of the same location side by side when we’re finished!

1. I’m looking forward to that too!

Great shots of the city reflected in the river – a fantastic gallery of shots!

Thank you, I had such good fun doing this one!

5. WOW, WOW, WOW!! Your photography is absolutely fabulous. The ferris wheel, the elephant and the red bridge stands out. Your love for what you are doing shows.

Oh my goodness, thank you sooo much for this fabulous comment. You’re right, I really do love it. It makes me so happy to be with my camera, out and about. Or even at home shooting stuff. I think that helps no matter what you do – if you love it, you work harder and longer at it. Thanks again. Truly lovely comment.

1. What is wonderful about photography is that you become more connected to your surroundings on a different level. You notice the little details. Truly something beautiful to be involved in.

Oh I agree completely. I see the world in frames now, always looking for a new angle to shoot from. I also have a bad back from carrying camera gear LOL.

1. Ha! Ha!… well worth it. Take care.

Cheers. You too!

6. Joanne says:

Wow, Brisbane has never looked so good – what beautiful captures! 🙂

Thank you Joanne, I appreciate that. ☺️

7. e says:

Love love love your work. Your eye is not only tremendous… You have the ability to capture what you see flawlessly.

Thank you! So much! I’m touched.

8. Loretta says:

Wow Desley! What a gorgeous carousel of pictures of your hometown. I especially love the black and white ones and the night shots of Brisbane. Some of those spots were coming back to me from when we visited about 15 or so years ago.

Thank you Loretta!! That means a lot to me. I had such a good time, Cardinal has come up with a great idea. I’ve seen parts of my city that I might not have seen before. Cheers!

9. Those clouds… :O wow…!!

Thanks Becky 🙂

10. Hi Desley:

Extraordinary pictures. Everything is so pleasing for the eyes. Congrats!

Cheers,

Omar.-

Thanks so much Omar!

1. Panama has a beautiful skyline very similar to that of Miami, Florida. On several occasions I’ve gone to the bayside to shoot the tall buildings at night. My eyes are enamoured by the scenery before me, but I haven’t yet developed the skills to captures those shapes and colors. I’m studying more about shooting at night and obtain outstanding pictures similar to the ones you depicted in your blog. I have dedicated several minutes viewing their shapes and colors. As I commented earlier, it is extremely pleasing to the eye. You are doing a great work as a amateur photographer, even though that is not your main line of work. Great job and passion for the discipline of photography. Inspiring example to many like me who are looking for avenues to polish up our shooting skills.

Cheers,

Omar.-

11. DJ, this month’s gallery is even more stunning. Night photography of Brisbane is wonderful. I could live there! 😉 It is a work of a master. Chapeau, my friend.

Well thank you, please come visit. Soon!! I do love seeing the city, especially at night. It was such good fun. Thank you again x.

1. The way the weather is behaving here, I’ll request a visa to Australia! Xx

Oh dear, doesn’t sound pleasant there! Yep come on over.

1. I’m serious! Going to request asylum! Lol

LOL I’ll take you in!

1. Just don’t tell you your prime minister!

1. He may send me to that island!

No question!

12. pommepal says:

I loved seeing “Brissie” all lit up. It is stunning with the light reflections in the river. I only come up during the day, looking at your photos makes me think I should come over one evening.

Thanks PP, it’s a beautiful city at night. Come up for a show at QPAC. If you come early you can get the city cat up the river and get sunset photos on the river. The wheel is also great when it’s not being serviced.

1. pommepal says:

that is a lovely idea DJ

13. Those skylines are something else!! :O