Be Generous With Empty Space

For PerelinColors Tech of the Month in Lucile’s Photo101 Rehab Clinic – make use of negative space. I am in love with negative space, have so many photos which I consider to be quite minimal and “full” of empty space. Here is one that I took a couple of weeks ago.

High Key Silhouette

I just wanted to catch this little bird in silhouette on a dreary stormy afternoon in Brisbane.

You can see some of my favourite “white space” shots in a previous post here but the collage below gives you a sneak peek:

IMG_6929

1. brittabottle says:

What a gorgeous shot, Desley! So peaceful and contemplative.

2. Even though I’m not a photographer I enjoy your tips. Also I recently made some business cards and found that more white space made the cards pop and look less cluttered.

Oh I’m so glad. Yes I agree it makes business cards look good! Would love to see them.

1. I’ll email you a photo. I actually have 2 very different cards.

3. What a beautiful shot!!! It looks like Japanese calligraphy and is such a nice yet simple composition.

Thank you! I think it needs a contemplative haiku 😉

4. Heyjude says:

Love your negative space images DJ – please tell me, is it always white space?

Thanks Jude. I love to use black negative space but haven’t managed it very often. I’ll link one for you. There are a couple in this post: https://musingsofafrequentflyingscientist.com/2015/09/15/monochromatic-selection/

1. Heyjude says:

Ah, yes. I see. I do like black backgrounds, especially for flowers.

Me too. I plan to do some indoor flower photography when I move and then play around with backgrounds. So exciting!

Possibly? 10 more days until it goes unconditional but apparently my real estate guy “has a bad feeing” about the buyers. Good grief it’s frustrating! 😝

1. Heyjude says:

Yup! The hardest thing I have gone through. But that might just be me! Buying not so hot either, we’ve been in the process for 5 months now – should have been straightforward, 6 weeks max. but then we hit a hitch -now dealt with – but nothing since. Our solicitor is waiting for a contract from his solicitor so we can finalise things. I have even started packing! I so hope he doesn’t pull out at this point, but it happened to us before. I do hope it goes much better for you 🙂

Oh my goodness, so long! I hope it’s sorted for both of us soon!!

5. tildy1 says:

The little bird does stand out!

6. Empty space is difficult. You handle it beautifully!

7. badfish says:

this is funny…I once took a photo of a young woman, put her all the way to the right, lots of space to the left. Her boyfriend was upset because she wasn’t centered!! So much for art

He was clearly uncultured 😉

8. pommepal says:

You are a magician with the negative space and minimalist. You header is one of my favourites, but I do like the little bird silhouette too.

Oh thanks so much. I love that header as well, makes me smile. 😊